Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2004 packet loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jephph

Technical User
Nov 9, 2004
US
Question for the group:
Anyone out there having unexplained packet loss on LAN-attached i2004's in conjunction with 3.5 or 3.6 and Baystack 460T-PWR's? Am currently working two different cases of trouble with the above scenario. In both cases, the reports of packet loss are prevalent mostly with 4 digit calls between i2004 stations (both are on same subnet and connected to same Baystack).
We have QOS enabled on the BS460, and are using autonegotiate for all of the access ports and the port attached to the BCM. We Have VLANs correctly configured to separate VOIP and PC traffic. All station cabling has been tested and certified to 100Mbps/CAT5. Ethernet stats/errors on the BS-460T's are fine. BS-460T's have been changed out and upgraded to latest release. BCM has latest PEP's.
At both of these sites, the phones work great 99 percent of the time, but at different times of the day, all phones have registered packet loss complaints at one time or another. I have a ticket open with Nortel, but they haven't been able to pin this down. I know that this sounds like a network issue, but stress testing with Net Chariot has revealed that the network infrastructure is rock solid.

Anyone have any ideas or is anyone else experiencing this with this mix of equipment?
In both

I have the same problem.. And unfortunatly the same solution... NONE :)

I use Netiq Voip diag. and same thing. the network checks out crystal clear. I even have net IQ simulate calls across the same segments and have no packet loss between NetIQ stations. Very odd problem.

I am on a succession, not bcm. But I tend to think this is a problem with the phones anyway.

Another report of similar problems with similar equipment, but no solution.

Baystack 460T-PWR, BCM-200, CSE-1000, i2002, i2004. Telco-provided E10 fiber connecting eleven BCMs and one CSE. The BCMs are running 3.5, although the vendor is upgrading us to 3.6 next month.

I've observed the BCM Monitor application reporting up to 10% signal loss while on a conversation with someone on the BCM, and noticed audio glitches coinciding with the signal loss.

I've seen this happen on calls between two BCMs, calls between the CSE and the BCM, and calls within one BCM while the network remains clear and trouble-free. Frustratingly difficult to track down.

Echo is quite troublesome as well, especially when calling outside the system to someone on a cordless phone, for example.

No answers yet from the vendor, other than suggestions to try NetIQ (which we haven't purchased yet).

One additional point is that we have some branches still on digital sets (M7208, M7310) instead of i200x sets, and they have zero instances of these sorts of problems, even though they're also using BCM-200s with 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back