Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2004 echo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justatec

Technical User
Feb 25, 2005
US
I have a opt 11 3.0,I have a echo at times on the ip phones it comes and goes,can any one help,,,, Every time i am there its fine....

Check the Node config. Make sure echo cancellation is ticked in the DSP Profile tab. Nominal settings are ECHO CANCELLER TAIL 32ms VOICE ACTIVITY DETECTION -17dB JITTER BUFFER 50ms. These are changable but depends on your network.

Steve

Thanks sidvic.. I will look and let you know....

I am also experiencing intermittent echo. Nortel is blaming the Telco and the Telco is blaming Nortel. There doesn't seem to be a good way of discerning whether or not the echo cancellers are doing their job or not on the voice gateway media cards. We have replaced them with no change. Does anyone else have this problem?

the only time i had that problem, it was the network (telco) and was due to a bandwidth missmatch. we changed to relay switched with a massive cir and the echo went away

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If you are voip the echo is probably not coming frim the Telco. Make sure your phones and cards and sigserv are on the latest firmware and have the latest patches and makes sure you are getting no jitter or latency errors in your log files which would point to a data network issue.

Nortel and the vendor both have given up and agreed to split the cost of a Tellabs echo canceller as the permanent solution. Tellabs actually sent me a test unit to see if that would fix the problem before purchasing and it did. Nortel has said that they are a couple months away from a new firmware on the Voice Gateway Media Cards for Rls4.0 which will improve the EC capability. Nortel did develop 2 patches for me to fix an echo problem that always occured at the beginning of calls. They are patch numbers 20446 and 20383. They are not currently published, but if someone out there has 4.0 and echo at the beginning of calls, ask your friendly tech support engineer to get these patches.

I have the same problem with 30 Succesion 3.0 that we installed, when making a outside call from an ip phone using analog trunks the user of the ip phone have echo at the begining of the call.
We are on CALA region so I will try to get some path for it.

Echo on IP phones comes when the end to end delay is greater than 150/200 ms. Adjusting the jitter buffer size may solve a part of the problem but dialogues becomes to be not so easy.
Making an assessment of the IP network will gives you an idea if it's good enough. QoS have to be implemented. It's not because you have a large bandwith that you'll be sure to have good voice quality. VLAN and Diffserv are the best you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back