Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I2004 cannot intercom 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

geauxnads

Vendor
Jan 7, 2004
US
Have a BCM200 3.7 and am using all i2004 phones. We set up a VPN for one remote user and ran into the problem where we can intercom the extension but when picked up we cannot hear each other. The phone rings but we cannot hear each other thru the handest or the speakerphone. The remote user can make and receive calls on all lines and we can transfer calls to the extension all crystal clear. I've tried different codecs and did a forced software download with no luck... Any suggestions on why only intercom calls are bad ?

Common problem when trying to call one IP set to another through routers. You have to make sure that your routers are allowing the proper ports through.....even in a VPN situation. You also have to make sure the default gateways are correct.

Ports required:
28000 to 28255
51000 to 51200

Once a call is set up between ip phones using port 7000, the BCM is pretty much out of the picture. The voice packets then flow directly from one set to the other (the BCM isn't technically required) using the 28000 series ports. If any of the above are blocked at the router, you will get one-way or no-way voice. Also make sure that there is no NATing taking place. The routers sould be set to allow NAT Traversal. VOIP doesn't like NAT.

I also needed this info...thanks ever so much!

If the IP sets are on different VPN connections, you must allow node to node connections in the VPN setup. Its not always on by default. What happens is the IP phone is allowed to communicate with the BCM so call setup takes place. The talk path is between phones and doesn't involve the BCM, so if node to node connections aren't allowed, the packet flow from one set to the other is blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back