Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2001 Programing/Starting DHCP error 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaG33k

Technical User
Apr 24, 2007
US
What are the steps to setting up a new i2001 under TM? I have the phone plugged in to the switch and it comes up saying Starting DHCP but never gets farther than that. I have checked that DHCP is working with a laptop. Also the softphone on the laptop also works. I created a i2001 template with TM that closely matches the softphone. Is there a place where I have to enter the MAC address of the phone or anyother setting I need to change to point it to the specific phone?

do you have a vlan hard coded into the set? Could be coming up with the wrong vlan.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

What firmware version is it? Some of the older firmware versions had a problem with DHCP. Post the version and I will see if it is the same version.

The out-of-box default for the 2001 is "Full DHCP". That means that your DHCP server has to be configured to give the 2001 the correct values for S1/S2/ports/retries... If not, then you need to change it to "Partial".

To my knowledge there is nothing coded on the set itself. I just pulled it out of the box and plugged it in. The firmware version is 0604D31. All it says on the display of the phone is starting DHCP and no other button will do anything.

Thanks,
Luke

How do I setup my DHCP server to do that (Windows Server 2003) or how do I change that setting on the phone itself. Also which would be easier to do just for testing? I just want to get this first phone up and working I can iron out the details later.

Thanks,
Luke
USCG IT1

Did you configure the phone set. Plug it in wait until it says Nortel Networks press the softkeys one at a time from left to righ>

Did you configure the phone set. Plug it in wait until it says Nortel Networks press the softkeys one at a time from left to righ.

Three of your best friends when dealing with IP Phones:
- IP Phones Fundamentals (NN43001-368)
- IP Line Fundamentals (NN43100-500)
- Converging the Data Network with VoIP Fundamentals (NN43001-260)

ok I did the soft key trick and gave the phone a static IP and got it up and working. I still havent got the DHCP working yet, but I got the phone to ring and thats good enough for me. Thanks to everyone that helped me out with it.

Here is a basic scope set up....

Scope Option 128

Nortel-i2004-A,xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4100,1,5;xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4100,1,5.

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your S1 and S2 node IP address

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back