Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I would like to barcode "CTRL" using Label Matrix 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ag74

Technical User
Nov 14, 2012
US
I am using Label Matrix to make badges with barcodes. I want to know if there is a way to barcode the "CTRL". Example the employee scans his login and then he has to hit "ctrl A" to enter password. I would like to attach CTRL A to the end of his login in order to go straight to the password. I am using a 128b barcode.

You'd have to encode using Code 128 Subset A (which includes all of the C0 control code characters 0x00->0x1f, as well as upper-case alphabetics, digits, and a few standard symbols), rather than Subset B (which does not include any of the control-code characters).

I am kind of new to label matrix actually bar coding period. I will try to see if I can make this work.

I could not get it to work. I'm not sure how to do it. Do I add the 0x00->0x1f to the end of the user name?

Since you are using an 'out of the box' application (Label Matrix) to create the barcodes which are printed, you must utilize their approach to creating the specific character combinations.

I'd recommend that you contact their support (or their support forum) and get their specific answer to your question - after all using an 'out of the box' solution demands that THEIR answer for THEIR application is the only one that matters.

If, however you were writing your OWN application to print the desired barcodes on your desired printer, then we might be able to advise you in greater detail.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thank you!

I will try to in touch with them.

One thing I did not explain very well was the relevancy of the Barcode symbology that you are printing.

Some barcode symbologies are pretty restricted and others are more comprehensive.

For example:
The Standard version of Code 39 has 44 characters including the asterisk (*) reserved for the start bar and stop bar. Code 39 character set includes uppercase A-Z, the digits 0-9, a handful of math-oriented punctuation marks ( $ % + - . / ), and the space character.

Full ASCII Code 39 barcodes (Extended Code 39 barcodes) are used to encode the lower 128 ASCII characters by using pairs of Code 39 characters to represent the lower ASCII 128 not in the Code 39 character set. Things like lowercase letters and more punctuation, as well the tab and CR/LF (enter key).

And some barcode symbologies (example: UPC-A) don't allow anything other than numeric characters.

Some printers and scanners need to be specifically configured to handle 'extended' barcode symbologies and, I'd guess, that certain applications would need that as well (I develop my own applications and don't use 'out of the box' applications so I cannot definitively say).

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Thank you very much for the explanation, I really appreciate it!

ag74

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back