Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I win a lottery 15 times a day! Junk Email

Status
Not open for further replies.

msammut

MIS
Jan 6, 2003
CA
Hello,
I must have touched on some kind of a spam site but am not exactly sure what has happened here. One day I started getting numerous emails in my inbox saying 'Attention:Your Inheritance Fund","Dear Friend, Urgent Reply Please" or "Attention, you have won 1 Million Euros". Each are either from Nigeria or the UK. Most are from the widow of a rich man who wants to give you his wealth as a show of good faith..or another is a dying person who doesn't want the government to get their milions so lacking family, they want to give it to me.

I feel like creating a whole new email address but I really do want to keep the one I have as it is registered everywhere I need it to be. Do I have any recourse here. Is there anything I can do to stop these emails from coming in. I have tried setting up a spam filter but they are all very different each time they come in?

It would certainly help if you actually told us what software you were using for your email client, and how you connect to your email server.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Spam filtering software would be a good start but any further help will as mentioned above require more info from you.

The answer is "42"

I am using Outlook Express and I currently have rules where email with words such as beneficiary, congratulations...are sent to a spam folder. I am using sympatico so it is a high speed connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back