Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I WENT FROM RMCOBOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

muramasa

Programmer
Jul 1, 2003
IT
HI, I'M AN ITALIAN PROGRAMMER AND MY ENGLISH IS NOT SO GOOD. I'VE A GREAT BIG PROBLEM: I WENT FROM RMCOBOL AND I'VE A LOT OF RM/CODE SO I TRIED TO COMPILE IT WITH NETCOBOL (AT THE COMMAND PROMPT WITH "COBOLC program-name") BUT A DISASTER OCCURRED FOR ERROR'S QUANTITY AND QUALITY SO I'M AT THIS MOMENT DESPERATE.
PLEASE IS THERE SOMEONE THE EXPERIENCED IN THIS KIND OF CONVERSION THAT WANT HELP ME?
THANK FOR HUMAN COMPRENSION AND EXCUSE ME FOR MY BAD ENGLISH.
GREETINGS

Hi Muramasa

Converting from RM to Fujitsu can be very difficult, and in some cases almost impossible without rewriting all the code.

If you wish you can contact me privately and we can proceed with further analysis of what would be involved in converting your code.

email at
frederico_fonseca @ syssoft-int.com

Hi Muramasa,

I've done several RM conversions and they generally go pretty smoothly, I'm surprised you're having many problems. Part of the problem may be the use of the command line interface the first time you tried this. I would take one program of significant size and complexity, make a project out of it and try to compile it. You didn't mention which NetCOBOL you are using (Windows of .NET) so it's difficult for me to say what to do first.

If you could tell me which version of the product you are working with I may be able to assist further.

Best Wishes!

Hallo cblkid,
thank you for having shown so much interest in my problem.
Telling the true, I left programming some years ago and I never faced object programming in windows environment, but, having an old suite of programs, I thought I could renew it and convert the code in a more updated interface.
If I give, at the command prompt,

Cobolc + return

compiler returns me following message:
"NETCOBOL FOR .NET V1.1L10 on MICROSOFT (R) .NET FRAMEWORK VERSION V1.0.3705 COPYRIGHT (C)FUJITSU LIMITED 2000-2002".
My system is WIN XP/PRO, and I installed Microsoft Visual Studio.net V. 7.0.9500.
Hope that providing these infos I will get a little more help, but if not so, thank you again for supporting me in this hard trip anyway, and I will post again, perhaps after having cleared up and unlocked the situation or if I will face more specific troubles to submit.
My english is getting better, isn't it?
regards - Muramasa.

Muramasa
In order to give you further help and as you decided not to do this outside the forum. can you please post one of the programs that is giving you the errors, along with the output of the build command (You can create a file with this by going to the "linker menu->option->set build result file").
In the build command there will also be a file "xxx.cbi". where xxx will either "cobol.cbi" or the "projectname.cbi".
Please post this file also.

Try and send us a small program that has the errors you are complaining about.

This will help us to identify where are your errors.

Most of your errors are comeing from DISPLAY and ACCEPT statements. Compare the console mode line entry syntax between RM and Fujitsu for these statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back