Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I wasn't sure where this really str

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonykent

IS-IT--Management
Jun 13, 2002
GB
I wasn't sure where this really strange problem should best be raised, but as it's related to my Xubuntu laptop I thought I'd start here.

I have an XP laptop (supplied by my employer) that I use to connect to their network via VPN when I'm out of the office. This works fine where ever I connect from. However, given that I almost always connect in, then use VNC to connect to the Red Hat servers I use there, I thought why not cut out the middle man. So I set up VPN and Remote Desktop on my personal Xubuntu laptop and just connect straight into the Red Hat servers. So far, so good.

This worked fine when connecting in from home using my TalkTalk-supplied broadband; it also works fine using the Virgin-supplied broadband at my parents' house.

A couple of weeks ago I changed the broadband supplier at home from TalkTalk to BT Infinity. Now I find that Although the VPN on the Xubuntu laptop connects, Remote Desktop (and several other tools I have installed) will not connect properly to the Red Hat servers. I just get a blank screen then a 'session disconnected' message (I'll get the precise message when I'm home tonight). The XP machine still connects ok.

Nothing has changed on the Xubuntu laptop and it still works fine when I use it at my parent's house. As far as I can see the only thing that stops it working is the use of BT Infinity rather than any other broadband, but I can't see how or why this should be.

Any ideas?

The error mesage states:
An error occurred: connection to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx::5901 was closed.

No idea what the cause is, but as a workaround, have you tried tunneling VNC through SSH?

Does ssh work okay?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back