Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I was hired at my present employers place of employment as a programme 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I was hired at my present employers place of employment as a programmer. What I am to program, I still don't know, but that is what I was hired as. What I do here is as follows:<br>
<br>
I have designed and am responsible for our Companies MS Access DB. Currently used by only a dozen or so employees, our main db is housed on a AS/400 using Infinium. <br>
I managed to set up a pretty decent structure in MS Access, and blew Showcase Strategy outta the water.<br>
<br>
I have designed and am responsible for the update of our current corporate homepage, which is composed of a basic outline of the company, a more in-depth &quot;what we do&quot; thing, a contact form, a location page, that shows our location with a map, etc. and a feedback page. I think I did an excellent job, as well. In the same vein I have just finished our corporate intranet, complete with 15 message boards, chat rooms, Help Desk, Employee news, etc.<br>
<br>
I am also responisble for helping our &quot;normal&quot; users with any PC problems, such as program errors, network problems, can't figure out how to log on, etc. etc. ad nausium<br>
<br>
In other words, I am never NOT busy. And that is fine with me, I really don't mind working my butt off. BUT, I think I am really really REALLY underpaid. I am salaried at $27,000 a year, and am barely making ends meet. <br>
When I was first hired here, I was &quot;fresh meat&quot; so to speak, as I hadn't had any corporate computer experience, though I do have over 20 years expereience programming, and working with computers. I have been here for a year now (February will be one year) and am seriously thinking about looking for something else... problem is, I an NOT willing to relocate, and I am nervous about working for someone else. <br>
<br>
What I am wanting to really know is, does anyone think I should stay with this company and get a little more experience under my belt, or should I start looing for something with a bit more pay? Also, does anyone think it would be unwise to demand a raise at this point? <p>John Vogel<br><a href=mailto:johnvogel@homepage.com>johnvogel@homepage.com</a><br><a href= HomePage</a><br>WebMaster - DataBase Administrator - Programmer<br>

Would you clarify &quot;document management&quot;? <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>
Good deeds do not go unrewarded!

I have had only a little experience with Lotus Notes but found it useful.

Elizabeth,<br><br>Lotus Notes is a terriffic product, but it's high maintenance. How are you thinking of using Notes for document management? I might be able to offer design assistance. <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>

akbreyer, maybe this got a little mixed up. It's alt255 who is looking for suggestions on document management. I just mentioned Notes as a document-management product I have used in the past.

Sorry I caused the confusion. This is undoubtedly the wrong thread... I guess I was lazy and continued the discussion from a previous post.<br><br>But, since we're all here, I was looking for software to control and track changes to AutoCAD drawings (primarily) and Word documents. The company is involved in large-scale manufacturing and there is little consolidation of resources and information among the Engineering, Quality and Manufacturing departments.<br><br>I'm trying to establish a trail of accountability here (I'm probably dreaming).<br><br>John Vogel, will understand, the feeling of uncertainty struck him, prompting him to start this thread. That feeling has struck me twice in not much more than a year. Now I am on totally unfamiliar ground. I'm a programmer, not an engineer. <p> <br><a href=mailto:InterruptX@excite.com>InterruptX@excite.com</a><br><a href= Contingency Implementation</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

Alt,<br><br>I looked into document management a few years ago and we used an old version of PVCS to manage some C development.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would almost say to look at the current companies out there and try to figure out who will be around the longest and buy their product, rather than actually evaluating the product itself. <br><br>The reason I say this is because all the products I've seen basically embed your documents inside themselves in some proprietary format.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;They have to do this to force you to check a file out for modification, thereby enforcing change tracking.&nbsp;&nbsp;The downside to this is that your files are no longer accessible to you except through that package, meaning that your company's data is tied to this package for life.&nbsp;&nbsp;(on top of that, you will probably also get locked into an upgrade cycle to maintain support for your package.)<br><br>Imagine a situation 10 years from now when your server has crashed, the install media for your version control package are not findable, the manufacturer is out of business, your server backup is not restoring the software correctly, etc. - you have no way to get at your data. (As we all know, this is not as farfetched as it sounds.)&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>My opinion could be based on old technology and/or I could be overly pessimistic, but I think you should maybe try to start with highly detailed procedures/policies that have mgmt. buy-in before taking the doc. mgmt. plunge. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

If you're looking to track changes/revisions to Word documents, how about Word's version control, and revisions tracking. I don't anything about autocad. <br><br>I've seen shareware and/or freeware, that tracks document changes. It might be worth the effort to look at that type of product.<br><br>Going in another direction Rational's project tracking tools might be worth some research.<br><br>It might be worth making a separate thread for this issue, in this category, or the software reuse category. <p>Gary (akbryer)<br><a href=mailto:Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com>Gary_Bryer@Vanguard.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> <br>
<br>

Guys maybe you should take this conversation to another forum/thread. That way other people interested in document management can read it - it has nothing to do with the forum.... <p>Cal<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back