Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I was going to start using Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

neofactor

Technical User
Jul 30, 2000
US
I was going to start using Exchange and wondered what you thought I should use for my internal network.

In other words, what can I get away with putting on the same boxes?

I figure I need to have the following and could set it up like this…

1) Server 1
a. IIS/Coldfusion
b. Exchange
c. Exchange Outlook
d. Security Certificate Services

2) Server 2
a. SQL
b. Domain Controller (Active Directory)

Am I missing anything? Should I switch it around or would this be the best option?

Thank you
-- David McIntosh

Is your SQL server will done a heavy duty or not. Active directory have to give logon service for users and maintain users database.

Exchange 2000 will need access to AD too so just think about AD redudancy and load for each server.

If the load of your exchange server not quite heavy. You can put Exchange and AD in one server and make SQL as a member server only

It is for home so really not much need for AD.. just me and my wife... authenticating.

Mostly I need IIS and SQL... exchange for basic email...
I tried MDAEMON but it has trouble behind my firewall.

I am on a cable modem using ZoneEdit DNS servers to auto update my IP.

I can't put IIS and SQL on the same box because ColdFusion does not perform too well on the same box as SQL.

Thanks -- David McIntosh

Exchange2000 REQUIRES Active Directory services, and if your box has multiple drives or partitions, you can set up AD in only one of the partitions and install Exchange there.

On my server, I have no problem with CF 5.0 and SQL server co-existing, however, I have followed best practices advice and have the DB on a seperate box.

Your IIS, CF and Exchange should not have a problem co-existing on the same box, just put exchange on the AD partition. I encourage everyone who either has or does not have Anti-Virus protection to visit the link below and scan your system for free!!

So I could use one box for it all if I wanted?

DCPROMO the SERVER to be a Domain controller, and setup active directory.

Install Exchange, ColdFusion and IIS.. and SQL if not hit too hard all on the same server.

Add lots of memory and make sure I have OS, exchange, and AD on one partition and everything else on the other.

Sounds great am i missing anything? Instead of my linksys I could setup ISA in the front and multiple NICs I suppose... But one thing at a time I suppose.

I'll play with this and get back with you. Thanks!

-- David McIntosh

The box I use is an IBM Intellistation dual processor XEON box with 1 GIG ECC RAM and it would handle all that on one box. Any less power, and you are going to experience some delays. Only one NIC card is required, as all web sites will be virtual (assuming Win2k Adv Server) CF administrator will make separate connections to each site. and you will set up separate ODBC DSNs for each site you host. Each one can have a unique area of the SQL database that pertains to them.

Good Luck! I encourage everyone who either has or does not have Anti-Virus protection to visit the link below and scan your system for free!!

It really depends how much load the server is going to put up with, you said a couple of posts up that its for home?

If its not going to be a major load then you would get away with an average powered box without huge amounts of RAM. If it is a critical server then you would need something largish.

Its not best practice to run IIS or SQL on a domain controller but again, if its for home its not a major issue.

Hope this helps

P.S Doug - There's just a space after the link in your signiture, thats whats breaking it. [smurf]

just out of curiosity..does your ISP allow port25 forwarding?

i have a smiliar setup

server1: win2k ad, SQL2k, IIS, CF 4.5 and mySQL all running on a celery 500 with 512 MB of ram fine.

server2: win2k ad, sql2K

i was going to install exchange but since my isp blocks port 25 forwarding, i have no chance at running my own mail server.

anyone know a way to circumvent this?

I suppose they do allow it, as I run my own mail server, list server, email hosting, web hosting, and nntp service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back