Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to VNC into my work computer from a remote location - how? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteadySystems

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2003
US

I want to VNC into my work computer from a remote location.

- VNC is installed and running on target computer
- all target computer IP addresses are dynamic
- I do have access to the router but do not know which port to enable for VNC
- router IP is static

What else? What is the safest, secure way?

Thanks Chris,

I can connect via the router static ip and it port forwards properly.

How do I connect via the NO-IP service? Do I even need it since the router ip is static?

my intention was to get it working on the remote computer in case the ip changes. then I'd have to edit the router again?

Your VNC "server" needs to be statically addressed. I suppose you could set up one host to be a static VNC server and then once you get in, VNC to the others by hostname. I'm not sure how you would do it, or if it's possible if your hosts are dynamic, sorry, I didn't read that part thoroughly. If you've got multiple users who need to connect to VNC at the same time, you'd need to assign different port mappings to each host, and make them all static addresses. You don't need to manually assign each IP, you could just use Reservations in DHCP.

currently I can connect to the remote workstation using the router ip address. but thats not what I asked..

my concern was the dynamic ip on the remote workstation because when that changes then the port forwarding needs to be edited each time

I figured no-ip would work for that on the remote computer no?

How do I connect via the NO-IP service?
NoIP should be running on the host pc that you want to connect.

Do I even need it since the router ip is static? - If you can remember the ip address, then it is not needed.

my intention was to get it working on the remote computer in case the ip changes. then I'd have to edit the router again?
If your router has a static ip address the external ip won't change. The ip address that it is forward to might have to be static, just to avoid future problems, usually when the ip renews it gets the same ip address but there will be times when a pc1 loses (releases)its ip and another pc2 might get (renew) its ip before pc1 thus getting pc1's ip address. I hope I didn't confuse you, maybe someone can clarify my intentions =)

=========================================
“You can actually become a role model for women.” - Jenna Jameson :)

Fine but what if the remote computers ip address changes?

192.168.1.61 for example

then a week later it is 192.168.1.53

so i would have to edit the port forward table on the router so that it redirects to the newly changed dyn ip.

my question is, does the no-ip service (hostname) work in this case? if so, how would I set it up.

I have the no-ip duc program running on the remote computer right now.

The point is, don't let the remote computer's IP change. Create a reservation, so that internal IP will always match up with the port-forward rule.

and then set the remote computer to have that static ip?

192.168.1.62 for example?

Yes, set the remote pc to static ip.

Something we purchased and set up for users here is a
Sonicwall SSL-VPN appliance. It works great! I can even connect and work on my computer at home just as if it were connected here (I have highspeed internet access). I can even do a remote desktop connection to my computer at work. Ours will support 100 users but we only have about 20 who use it.

I can't seem to find RESERVATIONS on my Linksys router.

I see filters but it says "Filters enable you to prevent certain PCs on your network from accessing your Internet connection.

On the DHCP section, look for a setting where you can "reserve" or assign ip addresses for specific MAC addresses.

To find your MAC address, go to Start\Run\type cmd

ipconfig /all

It should list your MAC address.

Or you can just give that pc a static ip so you won't have to go through all that trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back