Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to use Terminal Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
I am in charge of 9 workstations, we are on a peer to peer network. ( no servers). We have 5 users that are out on the road every day and my boss wants to supply them with Notebooks so they can log into our office and enter there daily sales etc.

I was thinking of using Terminal Server and wanted to know what I needed to set this kind of operation up? Boss does not want to spend a fortune,

Thanks for suggestions

JP

Well, you need a terminal server. This involves a server box, a minimum of W2K server with required licenses, preferably a broadband connection of some sort, and (your already implemented) network. It will also require each travelling workstation have its' own dial-up (at least) connection, and the appropriate RDP software. XP has it native, and 2K and Win98 require a client software from Microsoft.

You can download it here:

I know it says it is for XP, but I use it on all of my remote 2K clients just fine. I will say I have never used it in 98, so you'll be on your own there...

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

I have used it on 98 and it works fine. Your are also going to have to have an internet connection that is static. And point WAN port 3389 to the static LAN IP of the server. You will want a decent server, not one of these 500.00 deals from dell. You want it to have some muscle so it can process. I would say at least a gig of RAM. That should be a good amount for 4 people connected all the time and 5 ppl in the field connecting every once in a while.

Thanks for your reply, we have broadband connection and all workstations run XP and 2000 Pro.

Would I be best to purchase Server 2003 or Small Business Server?

ps Forgive my ignorance but what is RDP?

Thanks
JP

SBS is cheaper for your situation unless you are going to expand massively.

RDP is remote desktop protocol - for connecting from client to terminal server.

Thanks. The server I had in mind was an IBM X206 P4 3.00Ghz SCSI 36.4Gb 800Mhz Fsb 1Gb Ram and run SBS or do I need higher specs? Not much more expansion in the next 2 years maybe another 2 or 3 extra users.

JP

That should be plenty of machine. If using as a file server, I would triple up on the drives, run a hardware RAID5, and dump a tape backup in there as well. Also, as cheap as drive space is today, I would make those drives a bit bigger - say 72G each - this'll give you 144G of storage for your users.

If that solution would be to small for your future growth plans, other options include a separate internal RAID array for storage and file serving only, or possibly an IDE external backplane RAID cabinet. This'll be your CHEAPEST per GIG storage solution.

e-mail me at ddraper at igalaxy dot net

Whoa, there is free software out there that is fabulous. Tight VNC I've used this for years. Once, I used it to work on a machine that was down state, and a friend in another country worked on it with me. Yup, more than one person can sign on to a machine at once if you want. Software is password protected, so not all can use it, unless you want them to. Good luck.

Click here to learn How to help with tsunami relief... Glen A. Johnson
"Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough."
Groucho Marx

Be careful....

" It is not possible to run Terminal Services in Application Server mode on Windows Small Business Server 2003. This is a change from Small Business Server 2000. Running Terminal Services in Application Server mode on a domain controller may present a security risk to your network. If you want to use Terminal Services in Application Server mode, we recommend that you purchase an additional Windows Server 2003 license and install an additional server running Windows Server into the Windows Small Business Server 2003 domain. For more information, see "Deploying Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server to Host User Desktops in a Windows Small Business Server 2003 Environment" on the Product Documentation page. "

Your better off with server 2003

Hi

Maybe I should forget about SBS and just run with Server 2003?

JP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back