Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to use CISCO Phones to use in AVAYA IPO 500 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeninPrabhakar

Programmer
Sep 19, 2012
AE
Please advice to use CISCO SIP Phones with AVAYA IPO500

Lenin Prabhakar

They can be barely functional SIP devices. That's it.

I went down that road.... Its complicated and you have to get 3rd party firmware usually from the asterisks forum, then you have to set up a TFTP server on your network. Basically a big pain in the @ss.. And not worth it for the customer in the end.

ACSS - SME

you mean no body succeededin testing?
Should i try? or leave it

Lenin Prabhakar

I've done it and I agree with HeathBCT. Works, but not worth the effort it takes to get them working.

You need the 3rd party IP endpoint LIC's, and it will use 1 LIC per line appearance. very basic functionality with the phones.

Def not worth it.

Dear All,

thanks for all the replys..

the sad news is i have 72 of CISCO Phones, I wanted to use it with AVAYA system.
what do you all reccommend?

Lenin Prabhakar

We do recommend you to sell those phones and use proper Avaya phones.
These Cisco phones are useless on the IPOffice.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I have a customer with 60 SNOM phone's and they incisted to use them despite our advise.
Now six monts later only seven are still in use and will be replaced with 9608's next week.
Any other question?

you can use them on a hosted platform and they work great they are week on sip so we use skinny. allot more cost efective than replacing the phones and more features than a avaya

Hosted sucks..... most of the time. We have replaced dozens of hosted system just because the hosted systems had too much downtimes, difficult to maintain and expensive on the long term ( and lack of telephony features ).
It is nice for very small businesses upto ten phones and low call traffics, above that a inhouse system is a lot better/stable/cost effective.

We also sell a hosted solution....for under 10 - 15 users it's great. It isn't cost effective at all after the first couple of years though and beyond 15 users it's rarely the best solution. They do not offer more features than an IP Office, not even close actually. It's also not much use when poor broadband is a factor. It has it's place but for this guy with 70+ phones it's probably not the best idea if we're honest :)

not going to argue but most of our installs are 30-40 phones with some up to 700 and if the features are not as good as avaya you are looking at the wrong platform But as this conversation will only go one way on a legacy forum i will say no more just trying to help the guy

I agree
113047-ip6900-upgrade-03.gif

hostedphone, given your name it's obvious where your going to steer any discussion.

But beyond the 2 year point a hosted solution is quite the opposite of cheap solution, even giving that some can almost match the features on a PABX (non match, if you think they do you don't know modern PABXs) it costs more beyond the 2 year point... a hell of a lot more. A 30 - 40 handset system will only need 10 - 15 lines most of the time, not one each as a hosted solution entails (they are paying for what they don't need), more features is more money per month. I can build an Avaya with 30 handsets very easily for less then £4200 stick 10 SIP trunks on at £4 each in the a month that's £4680 in the first year, I will wager that your hosted offering with all the features activated to match the IP Office will be in excess of £5000 for 30 users over 2 years. After that the system will be paid for, it'll only be £480 per year for the trunks.... the hosted ...same price £2000 - 2500 per year every year and that's not factoring in buying handsets in the first place as the OP has some (but which many make you do).

As I said we sell both hosted and PABXs, we sell Avaya and Mitel PABXs mainly. We will suggest hosted whenever it fits best, but it doesn't as often as a PABX does. I can only assume you sell purely hosted so don't have the luxury of offering the best fit every time. :)

I don’t know where some people get there facts from but you don’t need a "trunk for each phone" the features on our hosted system exceed what is available on a Avaya and yes we sell other systems I have been working on the Avaya from the network alchemy days . We here the same arguments all the time but we still win 90% of all systems we quote for. I see this thread is going the same way as Hosted v PBX always go so we will just see how many catch up with the future

You know your system better than I do so I can't say it hasn't got more features, but in interests of educating folks on both sides of the discussion, what is the average per user cost per month of your hosted offering? If it works out cheaper you will probably pick up some customers :)

Not the hosted ones, trust me. Maybe it depends on cultural background but in the EU it will never be a eminent success.
And this discussion may go on forever just like the religion discussions do and this is not the forum to discuss this so here is my final respons on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back