Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to teach myself perl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmana3

Technical User
Oct 22, 2000
US
My name is Bigmana3. I am very interested in graphics languages, and I would like to teach myself perl. I would like to know if anyone had any text on the basics of perl. I may beSo that gin my quest.

E-mail me

Thanx,

Bigmana3.
[sig][/sig]

Have a look at "Programming Perl" published by O'Reilly ISBN 1-56592-149-6

you can get it from amazon.com

by the way -- I wouldn't *really* have called Perl a graphics language -- what do you mean when you say that? [sig]<p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>[/sig]

To learn to basics of perl can get free online tutorials to begin with.

The problem is actually running the script on a server.

Here are some free CGI hosting places:

But if you just want to learn syntax and not output to HTML until you have mastered the basics then I recommend Robert's perl tutorial at
This allows you to run Perl for win32 and you mayalso get a free Perl Code editor from tucows.com and consider getting visual perl too once you need to test output to html, without having to be online all the time.

A good begginers refernce is &quot;perl and CGI&quot; by Elizabeth Castro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back