Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to run a DNS server for my domain , Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfear

Technical User
Feb 9, 2001
US
I own a domain for example we will call it mydomain.com what do I need to do within windows 2000 server so I can change my dns to ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com , this way I can host my own dns. I have dns server installed in windows 2000 but I dont know where to go from there. Basically I have zoneedit host my dns right now but I want to host my own. Please help .. Thanks ...

First of all, I'd recommend purchasing a book about DNS, usually refered to as 'BIND' (which is a unix version of DNS). For nothing else, to understand how it works. It's quite simple and easy to learn, but can be difficult w/o examples. DNS requires carefull planning once setup and running for your changes (good and bad) can last up to two weeks on the net.

Second. It's best to have at least 2 name servers per domain. These name servers are usually on 2 different machines, and when possible, 2 seperate internet feeds. These servers cannot change IPs frequently and must be on 24/7.

If you meet the above requirements, I'd say go forth and purchase a DNS book. I recommend BIND or DNS from O'Rielly. If you don't meet the above requirements, I'd shop around for a service where you can edit/make changes via the web. DNS service should be rather cheap.

Iota

I do have 2 seperate machines, and 2 seperate public IPs. So Where do I go from here. I see the options on win2k dns server to add zones and what not please help. I dont really have time to buy a book at the moment. So if you could give me step by step instructions I would appreciate it .

Please help .. read threat above :(

Thanks for the reply I actually got it working a couple days ago. thanks

basically you need to register your domain name with internic, they will ask for 2 dns servers, or, 2 public ip address that will point to your 2 dns servers.

why 2 dns server ? they want your servers to be redundant

after that you will need to create a DNS zone, usually the DNS zone is a private ip address (192.something), for instance, create a dns zone with the name of mycompany.com with ip address of 192.168.10.x

w2k will create the forward lookup and reverse lookup zone for you, however if you use NT, you need to create them by yourself.

that's it, if you want someone to be able to access mycomputer.mycompany.com,
you'll need to create a host record that will point to the ip address of mycomputer, dns will add the remaining .mycompany.com automatically

hope this helps,
do buy a book on dns, it really helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back