Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to make WinME bootdisk w/ cardbus support

Status
Not open for further replies.

weirdo

Technical User
Nov 10, 2001
US
Hello everyone. Thank you for reading my post.

My project is this: I am trying to make a WinME bootdisk that supports my Realtek 8180l (Netgear MA521) wireless network card. When Win ME is booting up, the power light on the card turns green a couple of times, stays solid, and the computer beeps, recognizing the card.

When I use a Win ME bootdisk, or even bootdisks that claim to have network support, my network card does not turn on the Green LED, the computer does not beep, and the card is worthless.

I would like to make a boot disk that communicates with my wireless card and that can work on my wife's computer too.

Thanks,
WeIrDo

weirdo,

Are you refering to a "floppy" bootdisk?

You would need a driver set that could be loaded via Config.sys & autoexec.bat that are on the boot floppy. The *.dll's are for the win environment.

Check with NetGear to see if they offer support of this type.

Hope This Helps

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Hello thank you for your suggestion. I mean either floppy or CD boot disk, I would go either way if I could get it to work.

This network card runs in WinME, so I am not sure why I would need to consult Netgear?

All I want to do is move the required dll files from Windows ME over to a floppy and have the floppy load the files on bootup so the Cardbus card beeps and has a green power light.

Is there a resource that explains what each windows dll file is for so I can figure out which I need?

Thanks,
Weirdo

weirdo,

You missed "*.dll's are for a win environ".

You can double check, but the boot floppy created with ME is a type of "DOS" boot disk. Look at one & view the config.sys file & you will see there are file entries for CDRom support that point not to *.dll's but to *.sys files. As such you would need *.sys files & an exe to support the NIC for DOS.

You may have these already from NetGear. If not this would be the reason I pointed you to them.

Tou might also check with NetGear if there is Linux support. If so, you might opt to get a Knoppix ISO image and burn a bootable CD that will load & run Linux from CD. This has FireFox for web access and you can download files that you might need to the HD.

Guess I really do not know what your urpose for wanting floppy boot support with netwrk ability is.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back