Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to make my own start-up screen. Can I????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPYDERIX

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
CA
Hi,

I want make my own start-up screen instead of the Windows ME screen. I know how to actually make the .sys file but does Windows ME support your own custom pictures.

I looked in C:\WINDOWS and found one of the .sys files but it was just the shutdown screen, and I couldn't locate the other files.

The files are as follows:
-logo.sys Start-up screen
-logow.sys Wait screen
-logos.sys Shutdown Screen

The only one I could find was the logos.sys, but I want the cahnge that other ones too.

Is this possible???

Nate
There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

yes windows me does support your own pictures but they have to be in 256 colors or you can get a third party program that can do it in 16 or 24 bit colors.as far as the logo.sys file is concerned all you have to do is place it in the c:\ directory and windows will use that instead of the default screen.

The other two files logos.sys and logow.sys should be located in the windows directory.the default startup screen is locked away in a cab file or a library file i'm not really sure where it is.so finding it is almost impossible.just make sure it is the same size in pixels or windows me will display a black screen or the default startup screen.
HAVE FUN!!!!!
Squiggy
(If all else fails,get a bigger hammer!!!!!!!!!!)

Squiggy is right there, Tipster, in fact, the LOGO.SYS, LOGOS.SYS and LOGOW.SYS can all be opened in Paint (or, indeed, ANY application that supports 256 colour bitmaps).

You can then edit and save them like normal files. Personally, I'd back up the originals, just in case, or you might end up with a black screen, as Squiggy says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back