Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to increase the RAM up to 8 GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach04

Technical User
Jun 21, 2004
DK
Hi all,
I want to upgrade my laptops with more RAM, and I looked at Intel's homepage for the processor that is used in my laptop. It says that the RAM can get extended up to 8 GB dependent on the RAM type.
I have to slots with DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz.
My question is can I add more RAM up to 8 GB, using the same kind, if not what type can I use so I get 8 GB?

thanks in advance

This is the link to Intel's homepage showing the processor is in my laptop.

Most laptops only have two slots. So in order for you to upgrade to 8GB, chances are you'll need two 4GB so-dimm DDR3 sticks.

Check the laptop model specifications, however. Verify first that it supports more than 4GB.

Carl

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test
a man's character, give him power.
" - Abraham Lincoln
[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Yes I know that there is only 2 slots for the RAM.
My question is, is it possible to increase the RAM to 8, removing the old ones and putting 2 new 4 GB RAM?

Without meaning to make an gobsmackingly obvious statement, but to utilise 8GB RAM you need a 64-bit OS, which I am sure you must already know!

Go to Crucial and enter the make and model of your laptop and it will tell you if it will accept 2 x 4GB and confirm which type.

Regards: Terry

mach04,
Looking up the CPU specifications is not good enough. You need to look at the manual for the laptop to verify how much the system board and BIOS for your model supports.

You can also go to Crucial.com as TF1 mentions, but personally I always verify the info with the manufacturer.

Carl

" - Abraham Lincoln

I should add that you should be telling us the make/model of the laptop if you're unsure how to look up this information on your own. It's the only way we can verify 8GB will work.

Also don't overlook tf1's comment about the 64-bit operating system. That is needed to take advantage of anything over 4GB.

thank you for all your replies.
The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge, its working on a 64 bit with Windows 7, but I can not see any information neither from the manuals nor at Lenovo's homepage about the maximum RAM size for this model. But the dealer means that it can be upgraded to 4 Gb.

I ran the memory scanner at Crucial.com, and it says it allows max 4 Gb.

So I guess its not possible to have more than 4 Gb, even though at Intel's homepage gives a different impression.

The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge

mach04,
You're killing me, man! There are like 10 different models of the Edge series such as the 14, 15, E10, E30, E40, etc.. Which one do you have?
[bigcheeks]

I quickly checked some of the current Thinkpad Edge models that run the Core i3 and i5 processors. Both only support up to 4GB according to the configuration tool you can select when customizing your purchase.

The laptop is Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 15

This is what I find on the Lenovo Edge support site at

Edge 14, Edge 15
PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 or PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 SODIMM
4GB using 1066 MHz or 8GB using 1333 Mhz

And here at Crucial, it confirms that you can install 8GB on the INTEL processor version. So you need Crucial 2 x 4 GB KIT DDR3-1333 part no. CT1320534

Go to CRUCIAL and put in the exact model number. Maybe there is more specific model number on the back of the computer. Then you will know maximum RAM per slot and in total.

I always check a couple of sources before committing to ordering RAM. There ARE mistakes floating around out there. Even Crucial had a mistake once for a laptop. It said max of 1GB per slot for a laptop. I had already pulled out 2 x 2GB sticks from my laptop and tried it in the customer's laptop and it worked. Go figure.

Another link at Lenovo shows 4GB as the max:

Before you run out and buy 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz going by tf1's link, I would call their support line and verify it's going to work based on what I'm seeing. Also consider if making the upgrade to 8GB is really necessary. Your CPU is meant to be paired with 1066MHz memory, so upgrading to the faster 1333MHz isn't going to be that much of a factor (faster memory tends to have higher latencies as well).

Carl

" - Abraham Lincoln

I finally tested the amount of RAM at the shop I bought it, dealer was kind to test it to see if it can take up to 8 Gb, unfortunately it takes only up to 4 Gb.

If you read the whole thread, there's nothing ambiguous in his statement.

You cannot install 8GB.

You can only install 4GB.

It might also be worth noting that a motherboard firmware upgrade (flash) may well improve memory compatibility and in some instances the ability to run larger capacity modules although this is usually determined by the chipset limitations (motherboards north/south bridge processors)

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

That's a good point Martin. It is common for BIOS updates for adding compatibility for memory or processors and not just for fixing bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back