Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to give internet in my network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have an Windows 2000 Server conected to internet to a an internet provider and a local network. What configuration it is necesary to make to give internet in local network (Gateway, DNS, DHCP, IP and so on). Thanks

Probably best to buy a book, as this isn't a one step process! C:\DOS:>
C:\DOS:>RUN
RUN DOS RUN!!

Use Internet connection sharing if it is a small network this may be sufficient. This will automatically set up a DHCP server and give your server the address 192.168.0.1 (from memory). However if you already have DHCP set-up you may be better off using network address translation (NAT). This is more that complicated than above but not horrific. I agree with Crundy a reference book would be invaluable

You can look up Q299801 in the Microsoft knowledge base for NAT.

my recommendation would be to pick up a sonicwall soho 10/50 firewall (or similar). they are affordable (~$500 - $1000) and will act as a gateway, dhcp server, nat box, firewall.... basically, they're great and easy and effective. even has a built in 4-port hub. you can get software add-on's like virus protection (end-user transparent and no maintenence on my part), content filtering, and vpn client access. ours took less than an hour to install. if you have a smaller network (like, say 3-5 client computer) then a simpler box may be in line, such as the d-link di-707. only costs about $130, and has a built in 7-port 10/100 switch. not nearly as fancy as the sonicwall, but i use it for my 10-computer lan at home with my cable modem. that took less than 10 minutes to set up and configure. you just plug the ethernet cable from your dsl/cable modem into your di-707, then plug in a computer with dhcp enabled. in a we browser go to 192.168.0.1 and configure away (basicaly enter your isp's dns servers). then, plug in the rest of the computers, making sure dhcp is enabled, or assigning them unique ip addresses on the same subnet (i use 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.7 for my servers). the dhcp range is from 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.199. you can add more computers if you want by adding mor ehubs or switches. i've got a 10bt hub and an 802.11b wireless accesspoint piggybacked off my di-707.

anyway, windows CAN do all this stuff, but a dedicated firewall/router/gateway does it better, faster, and more reliably. they also provide your server with a certain amount to protection as it's now private behind a firewall. if it ain't broke, i haven't touched it yet....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back