Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want to connect to two different isps at a time 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engamor

Technical User
Jun 11, 2004
IT
I have two routers, one to connect to a special service isp, through ISDN connection, the other for general Internet use.
I would like to activate automatically one or the other depending on the application calling the appropriate public IP.
That is I only need to automatically connect the special isp IP whan calling it, and this must be through the special ISDN router.
Now I only can do this if I change the gateway setting every time i need to switch.
But this is cumbersome.
Is there something as a software router utility that can recognize the IP and route the request through the special router?
Hope it is clear enough ...
Sorry, first time here .. new to the subject, hope not to bother anybody
Regards
Antonio

It's very simple to do if you can clearly define the circumstance that should invoke the ISDN router.

If that circumstance involves a known set of destination IPs, that is even easier. You would simply enter in a static route on the Internet router that point to the ISDN router if the data is headed for the known set of destination IPs.

If the criteria is based on the source IP or on a certain type of service such as Citrix or some custom TCP or UDP port, then you would need to use "Policy based routing" to achieve the same thing.

George Ou
Network Systems Architect

Get more powerful articles and tools from my webpage

Thank you George, your answer is very useful, and I do understand that this can be done by appropriately setting the parameters of the Internet ADSL router. Unfortunately I have a problem to do so, because this router is locked by the ADSL provider, it is something they do here in Italy. They give you the access service and lease you the router and simply lock most router functions so that you cannot access extra features etc. Of course I can ask them to do the programming for my special request, but I would like to be able to find a solution myself, if one exists, for several reasons. I wonder if there is some piece of software that can do the trick from inside my computer and route different IP ranges to different gateways, that would allow me the most of flexibility.
BTW, this computer is still using windows 98, changing the gateway is easy to do, but requires re-boot of the system.
I myself I can do that, but the end user is much less "technical", one other solution might be a system to bypass this, I mean some kind of utility to change the gateway "on the fly" without rebooting. They can live with it, I mean, using one thing at a time, but with the aid of a simple means to switch "channels".
But, again, thanks for your help!
Antonio

Ah, it's simple then. Simply point your default gateway to the ISDN router permanently. On the ISDN router, simply route 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 to the ADSL router. Then use a few static routes to route to the ISDN device on the other end of the ISDN line when needed, or use Policy based routing if source or service based routing is needed.

George Ou
Network Systems Architect

Get more powerful articles and tools from my webpage

That makes sense, George! Thanks a lot. I recognize I have little experience in this field, and your help is really valuable.
I will try this in a few days (I am now working in another place) and keep you informed!
Regards
Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back