Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Want to Automate the Update 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Meyerson

Programmer
Sep 17, 2020
US
Three users currently run my Barter.exe. I place an updated version in a common folder. Barter.exe checks for a newer version. If it finds one, the user is notified. Then I want to

1. Quit the exe
2. Overwrite the current exe with the newer one.
3. Restart the new MyApp.exe.

There used to be (a long time ago) a QUIT TO command which I could use to accomplish the update.

A batch file might do the trick, but I'd rather not have to start my exe with a batch file.

Any other ideas?

Steve

Chris, thanks. I used your suggestion to put RESOURCE=OFF in a Config.fpw file instead of the prg.

One problem: With Config.fpw in the project (included or excluded), the project seems to find it when I bring up the project itself and apparently ignores Foxuser.dbf. So it discards my configuration of the project (windows, etc.) as if it were opened for the first time. It even affects another project in the same folder! Hopefully I can figure a way around this.

Steve

Problem solved. All I had to do was put the Config.fpw in another folder on my machine and add it to the project.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back