Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I want some advise about network management tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninghi

ISP
Jul 16, 2003
CN
I want some advise about network management tools used in a large network. Just like some network management software and some hardware used to help the network manager to know the states of each lines.Thanks a lot!

The industry leader is HP OpenView which costs ££££ whilst for open source MRTG is good as well.

You can also use CiscoWorks 2000 but if you are going to pay for a NMS, you might as well get HP-OV.

We use Ciscoworks 2000 and I have never been impressed with it . It's slow and as a network monitoring tool it is so so . It is useful if you have to make occasial mass config changes such as passwords to a large number of "cisco" devices . For total network management I believe there are better choices out there .

I am using MRTG for bandwidth statistics, and two low-cost monitoring tools, WhatsUp by IPSwitch, and Kiwi Syslog Deamon. All three are running on a cheaper Dell PowerEdge 650.

Using What'sUp, you can Ping poll the interface of distant devices, as well as watch from specific services on servers like SMTP, HTTP, WINS, etc. You can also using alternate polling methods like telnet for devices that do not answer ICMP requests. I also set it to notify me via email to my cell phone if anything misses 4 consecurive polls. Obviously this would not work if it's the mail server or internet connection is down, but it does have the ability to dial out and send TAP messages, or if a Voice Modem is installed, it can call a number and play a prerecorded message. All alerts can be defined on a per device basis.

Using KIWI, I can slip the Syslog messages of choice (what type, level, etc) into my SQL database for reporting, internet usage, etc.

I'm using Nagios ( Cacti ( a frontend to RRDTOOL), and NMIS (
Nagios performs ping, service and security checks, and also checks the performance data in some of Cacti's databases. Cacti gives nice customizable graphs. NMIS duplicates some of Cacti's information, but is great for routers and network segments.

I also meant to add that with MRTG, you can graph just about anything that you can poll via SNMP. Just modify the OID you're polling and you can capture server disk utilization, fan speed, processor utilization, etc. If it's a statistic and you can see it on GetIf, you can graph it.

Our company uses HP-Openview in custom combination with Netcool and VitalSuite for our bandwidth monitoring. We tested/POC'd MRTG, WhatsUpGold, ePro, Tively, etc., etc. We found these to be the best of breed for our uses. We manage over 7500 devices and circuits worldwide.

HP Openview/ Netcool is the best for a full Noc operation. However, you really need to know what your doing with HP Openview. It can be a large undertaking. It is deisgned for large networks with full staffed NOC's. Netcool with all it's added packages is also wonderful for Large NOC's.

true. we have a large NOC and have a dedicated team to develop/maintain/support our monitoring and management framework. if you have the ability though, the customization and capabilities that combination can offer you is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back