Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Want Alphabetic Order, Not Chronoligical 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalamo

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
IL
I have Win98SE

Whenever I want to open a file or save it in any application (Paint Shop Pro, Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc), the directories and file names appear in chronoligical and not alphabetical order. I know that I can get them into alphabetic order by right-clicking on "Details" and then right-clicking on the "Name" column, but the next time I open the application, the order is chronological again.

Windows explorer is the way I want it, and all the "Open File" and "Save As" windows once showed folders and files in alphabetical order, until one day I booted my computer, and they appeared in chronological order.

How do I get them back in alphabetic order?

Hi there, the 'thread' answer works, I reckon, but try this- open the folder in 'Explore' mode, hit 'Views', then 'List' on the drop-down menu, ; your folders will alphabetize, then close pressing the 'X' in the upper right corner while pressing the 'Control' tab. Next time the folder opens, it'll be alphabetized. No points for me if it works for you; the other person who answered deserves 'em.

[machinegun] [pig]

Don't forget those who serve and protect: Your Armed Forces personnel and Disabled Veterans (DAV).
"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us."
George Orwell, author

Murugs and Warhog73, thanks for the help. I tried the thread before I saw Warhog73's suggestion, and it worked, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back