Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I use Outlook, so why do email links open in Express? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh68

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
Hi,

Everytime when I click on an email link via a browser or when someone sends me one, it will open in Outlook Express. Unfortunately, I use Outlook. So, I'm wondering the following:

A.) I tried to uninstall Express, by removing Windows components (Win2000). But than I chickened out of it, because the instructions were a little confusing. For instance it said "check or uncheck box to remove or add components". What does that exactly mean? So if I check a box, will it remove it or add it all over again? And, what about the other boxes? If I leave them on checked, will it add new software or remove it? I definitely don't wish to remove IIS. Any help?

2.) How do I redirect a path so that all email links open in just Outlook?

Ideally, I would love to uninstall Express, but any answer will help.

Thanks,
Dan

1. Don't uninstall Outlook Express. Some components are needed to run certain versions of Outlook.

2. In IE go tools ->internet options ->programs and select Outlook for your email program.

Cheers.

Hi, I had the same problem... and I did change the IE Browser Options to Outlook (Outlook Express) ... BUT the blighter still brings up Outlook Express, when I click a mailto:abcdef@blahdeblah.com link in Outlook... Do I need to re-boot to make it work ??

Any other suggestions.

Thanks

John

FoxEgg

Open a Folder
Click Tools/Folder Options/File Types
Find and Click on url:mailto
Select edit and choose Outlook
(usually c:\program files\microsoft office\office11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search