Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I upgraded to BS9 & it's even more ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2003
US
So I upgraded my AS2K installation (9 servers, mixture of Netware 5.1, RedHat Linux, and Win2K). Here's what I've got on my hands now.

1. New client does not run properly on my novell 5.1 sp4 systems (2 servers). The backup server connects to them & proceeds to backup 0K in 0 files with no error messages. I've removed all filters & restarted the agents just to check...

2. I cannot submit jobs using "run/schedule" because it complains about a job already being present with the current device group even though no job is present is the Job Status window.

3. Novell client backups are SLOW (80MB/s).

4. The only good thing I've found so far is that my RedHat system backs up at about 2.5x faster than it did before.

5. My backup job keeps restarting over and over after it goes through the first two servers. I've had to delete them from the backup job & run the rest of the servers as a a separate job.

6. CA's support website seems to have very little information on BS9. There's plenty about AS7/2k and BS10 but BS9 seems to be kind of a stepchild. While we're on the subject, shouldn't BS9 be the latest and greatest? Why does BS10 have support going back a couple of years? Can you say "Versioning Nightmare"?

7. There seem to be bugs in BS9 that are actually fixed in AS2K. For example, the "Jobs won't stop" problem is now my friend again. Are we supposed to apply the AS2K patches over BS9? I got the BS9 service pack & could tell very little difference (none, actually) in operation before and after.

So, for all my time and trouble (2 days of upgrades, reconfiguration, and testing), I'm getting slower, less-reliable backups than ever.

Not sure that BS stands for "BrightStor"...

northstardave

Hi Dave,
>>>>Not sure that BS stands for &quot;BrightStor&quot;<<<<

You're not the only one whose got another name for BrighStor
Sorry Can't be of more help with BS9

In fairness, I need to post the results of a recent tech support call with CA.

1. Got the clients working by removing them from the BS manager & re-adding them. Go figure.

2. Item two is still outstanding.

3. We got the network performance of the Novell server up to snuff but writing the job to tape is still painful. CA support says that anything over 100MB/s is considered good. I would consider 180 to be the minimum due to hardware specs.

4. Redhat still rocks.

5. Item 5 is still outstanding.

7. There seem to be some regression bugs.

I'll post more as I slog through.

Hi guys,

i heard there's a backup client for Linux-systems too (for free like win9x-clients).
But where can I find it and how to install on Linux-system?

Any help would be great,
regards,
Peter

I mispoke during a presentation to a client, and called ArcServe by our in-house name of AssCurve!
Thankfully they had a sense of humor...

Hey northstardave!
Just happen to know the answer to your comment about CA's versioning - it's not really the nightmare you think. BrightStor isn't just one product, it's a kind of brand name for all of CA's storage stuff. You've got BrightStor ARCserve, and yes, 9 is the latest and greatest. The v10 you mentioned is another product entirely - BrightStor Enterprise Backup, which came out a few years ago. Whole different deal.

Good luck with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back