Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I tried to partition drive into 2 and............

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlymel

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2003
GB
Hi. - - I was asked to partition a friend’s hard drive. I did everything necessary to create a primary dos partition at 85% and the extended partition of 15%.

Reformatted both drives (C and D). – Then rebooted. At the “A” prompt I typed E: and hit enter. Got the “E” prompt okay and then inserted Windows 98 SE into CD drive.

Still at the “E” prompt I typed “setup” and it went through checking the drives. It showed that drives “C” “D” and “E” had no errors. Now press enter. Did this and then message came up with the following:

MESSAGE SU0013
If you have HPFS or NTFS you must create a MS dos partition. If you have Superstar compression the disable it before running setup.

HELP - HELP - where do I go from here??

Mel in the UK

Yep, - I recall setting them both as active in turn. Example first the 85% one then the other one.

Mel in the UK

Activated both? Are you sure? (you can only have one active partition at a time - and it should be primary). No other partitions/drives in machine?

Suggest you start again - remove partitions you've created. Create new primary - don't create extended. Reboot, format & install 98. Then create extended.

Hey, how about this. - - When I got the message about SU 0013 and I asked where do I go from here. - Well, I decided to change the boot sequence from floppy to CD Rom and rebooted. I then made the dos promt as "E" and typed setup and it sailed through without a hitch. The end result is I have 6.8 gb of "C" drive and 1.2 gb of "D" drive which is exactly what we wanted. - - Oh well, still wondering why I got this message though.

Thanks for your help.

Mel in the UK

At the “A” prompt I typed E: and hit enter.
probably because you had a Floppy disc in the a;\ drive, and because you had the boot sequence wrong and then it scanned all drives looking for setup.exe(which is in tne E:\Win98 directory, not E:\)
If you changed to E:\Win98
CD Win98
Before you typed Setup, you probably wouldn't have gotten message

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs..All involved shall be spared the grief.

Kinda fun being able to find easy ways around stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back