Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I think its a cd rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3rd

Technical User
May 28, 2003
US
Ok here is my problem. My computer crashed a while back when i plugged a monitor in and when i tried to start it back up it just said "Operationg System Not Found". So i gave up until about a week ago and i got it all ready to intall but when i went to use my cd-rom here is what happend. I booted up and and put the disc in and was messing around then i had to go to bed. Well the next day i turned on my computer and the cd rom light wasnt flashing and it wont open. Well figuring it was the drive i tried a new one. So i put a new one in booted up and opened the tray to put another disc in and then i went to close the tray and nothing. So i rebooted and now the same thing happened to that one! no light and the tray wont open up(i pushed it close). so now i dont have another cd rom to try it with

I think its a power problem. Check (reseat)your power connectors for all IDE devices...

"ANTE GEIA"... [morning]

well i have done all that...i have swapped...reseated...and switched out all of em..but still no go...but i will try again...

Is the CD-ROM the only device on the ribbon cable? If so, is it configured as the Master device for that cable? Is it being recognized as the computer boots?

Is the red edge of the ribbon cable closest to the power connector on the back of the CD-ROM?

Yeah its the only device on the cable and is set for master. As for the red ribbon toward power my cable only goes in one way so there is only one way it can go in. And no the cd rom is not recognized as it boots.

This sounds like one of the circuits in the power supply itself might be the problem, N3rd. You're describing the things that would happen if you unplugged the power cable from the CD-ROM. Can you see/feel the hard disk spinning up when the computer is started? It uses the same circuit. If it does, then:

Does moving the CD-ROM's ribbon cable from one motherboard IDE port to the other make any difference? You may have to temporarily remove the hard drive's IDE cable from the other motherboard socket to test - that's fine because we're not trying to boot off of it. Just want to see if the CD comes back to life on the other IDE channel.

Have you gone into the BIOS setup and seen if it will still autodetect the hard drive (when everything is connected back up)?

Last but not least: what model of motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back