Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I set field(s) to Null due to a type conversion failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportdlockport

Technical User
Apr 13, 2005
US
Error
"Microsoft Access can't add all the records in the update or append query.

I set 622 field(s) to Null due to a type conversion failure.
A type conversion failure is caused when the data in one or more fields doesn't match the DataType or FieldSize property in the destination table. For example, leaving blank fields in a Yes/No field or entering text in a numeric field will cause this error."

How do I create settings in the destination table if I'm creating it? How do I find this problem out of 93000 records? I've sorted by Null values in each field and can't find anything.

It is difficult to trouble-shoot your issue without more information. There are several issues that might cause this.
[li]Trying to pass a text date like "July 2005" or "June 31, 2005" into a date field.[/li]
[li]Trying to pass a text zipcode like "54701-0012" into a numeric field[/li]

You could try test a smaller group of records to narrow down your issue(s).

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

There is a required field and allow nulls property on the table.

sportdlockport,
Does this mean your problem has been resolved? Or, are you still looking for some assistance?

If resolved, do you mind sharing what the problem and solution were?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

The case is resolved.

The query was producing Null values for a calculated field. The calculated field was referencing another field with text and numeric values; therefore producing Null for those that were text references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back