Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O operation failue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I've been running FPW26 and stand alone .exe's with the appropriate patches for foxprow.exe and foxw2600.esl
ALL applications and foxpro have been running just fine on all OS's and all PC's. Now there is one laptop that gives me an I/O operation failure error as soon as I click on FILE, and OPEN within Foxpro, or as soon as I issue the =GETFILE() command within my .exe I'm pretty sure it isn't the drive letter thing because I run the fixdrive.prg to fix all that, and the apps run on every other PC. The machine is an Acer laptop with an Intel Pentium III. The only difference is there is about a zillion things running on the system tray. I've booted WIn98 into Safe Mode with the same results. Any thoughts? Thanks. Keith

It is likely that the FoxUser.* file may be having the Read only attribute. Also the datafiles. It is likely to happen if you used CD copy to shift from one system to other.

So issue the ATTRIB -r myFile.* command to change attributes and then run.
Best of luck!
ramani :-9
(Subramanian.G)
FoxAcc
ramani_g@yahoo.com
LET KNOW IF THIS HELPED. ENOUGH EXPERTS ARE HERE TO HELP YOU OUT! BEST OF LUCK :)

Keith,
The solution may be as simple as putting a CD in the laptop's D: drive. For a fix go to and get the free FixDrive.prg. There used to be a KnowledgeBase article about the cause, but it was a victim of the great FoxPro information purge early last year (MS really doesn't want to support anything before VFP 3.0). Basically it has to do with the linker expecting all contiguously defined non-removable drives to be ready at program startup. i.e. If you have a D: drive defined, then it needs to be available.

Rick

Thanks for the responses. I checked the foxuser.dbf and the foxuser.fpt, and they are NOT marked for read only. In fact, those 2 files have today's date. Second, I do have a CD in the CD Drive, but I have already run the fixdrive.prg routine to fix the drive letter problem. This particular .exe is running just fine on a network and many other standalone PC's.
THanks.
Keith

One other interesting note here, if I run FoxPro interactively on the PC in question, I can issue the "USE DATABASE" command, and the database opens and all is well, for exampe "USE COLOR", but if I issue the =GETFILE() command in the command window, I immediately get the I/O operation failure message. Also, as soon as I click on FILE, and then OPEN, I get the same message immediately.
Thanks.
Keith

I've gotten the I/O operation failure when I inadvertantly had a non-existing/wrong drive letter hiding someplace in my config files or program. Even happened when someone 'accidentally' changed the path in the sysdata file in SBT...
-Larry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back