Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O Error Sony Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknn

Technical User
Mar 21, 2003
US
While idling at a website, my computer started making clicking noises which isn't unusual with this laptop. Usually my computer makes clicking noises when the harddrive is in use. However this time the clicking was non-stop so I shut it down. Upon starting, the computer will click and an I/O Error, replace disk and press any key. After pressing any key, the computer will click for about 5 more seconds and the same error message. Any ideas? BTW the computer is about 3 years old

It sounds like it's a Hard drive failure, if you can disassemble it then you could try testing the connections to the drive, or connect the drive using an adaptor to a desktop pc and see if it works.

Laptops tend to be quite hard on hard drives, the combination of heat and movement shortens the lifespan quite a lot.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

That would be my diagnosis as well. Hard drives aren't suppost to make clicking noises! Try Booting up with a floppy disk, you may have to set up the bios to boot from the floppy first, with a windows start up floppy. one from win98 or winme will do just fine. Then type &quot;fdisk&quot; (no quotes) and tap the <enter> key. If it says no fixed disk found then there is little doubt that the hdd is a goner.
Good Luck!
sdhiram

Thanks for the help. I replaced the hard drive yesterday and all is well.

This is common. Replace and all is well.
What about the loss of data when no back up of data file(s) were made ?

An I/O error means we have gone from an active, healthy DOS partition to &quot;Unknown&quot; and in the year of 2004 I'm surprised that the only solution remains...&quot;replace&quot; and all is well again.... until the next time.

Instead of making IDE drives faster, I wish manufacturer's would build some dependibility into their products. The old banger, door-stop drive of yester-year may have lacked capacity, but dang, they were tough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back