Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i/o error during backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

funstur

Technical User
Feb 15, 2001
GB
Every time I attempt to do a backup it fails with an I/O device error. I have changed the tape device, removed & reinstalled the backup software checked the drivers & that the drive is functioning both under win2k & verita, new tape etc. Other operations such as tape erases work fine .......................... dohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Any suggestions? Have you come across this before? Reported is attached:

No appendable media could be mounted.
Switching to overwrite operation on scratch media.

Drive and media information from media mount:
Changer Name:
Drive Name: EXABYTE 1
Media Slot: 0
Media Cartridge Label: 8MM000001
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

======================================================================
Job Operation - Backup
Media operation - overwrite.
Hardware compression enabled.

Media Name: "Media created 06/03/2001 14:58:37 "
Backup of "C: "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Backup 0002"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 06/03/2001 at 15:00:43 .

Storage device "EXABYTE 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 06/03/2001 at 15:02:33 .
Backed up 2682 files in 84 directories.
Processed 339,528,607 bytes in 1 minute and 50 seconds.
Throughput rate: 176.6 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Job ended: 06 March 2001 at 15:02:36
Job completion status: Failed

We had to back out to an OLDER SCSI driver in order for out DLTs to work properly with Backup Exec. Have you hit the MS resource (technet) and checked there? That is where we found our tip off about the driver issue.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Which version of Veritas are you using?
According to Veritas, this is a known problem with version 8.0. If you go to their website, you can download a free update.
Unfortunately, when you have this error, the software looses connection with i/o device, rewinds the tape, and overwrites the header on the tape. So, the data on the tape is unretrievable, and you have to start over.
I was having this problem, did the update, and havn't had it since.
rkmorrow

i have the same error, i tried the regedit, but now i fails and goes on 'hold' status even faster..... nt4, be7.3... i guess i have to try the scsi driver? but why does it work sometimes and most of the time still fail?....doesn't make sense, everything says the tape drive is working fine....

I had a similar problem and found the solution by searching Veritas for the error messages.

The problem I had was that I have Veritas installed on the same server as MS SQL. Its a known bug, but the stuff on veritas web site seems to work.

If you can't fix it email me and I'll send you some stuff veritas@speedie.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back