Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O device error when trying to create a system image in Win7 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

briteyes

Technical User
Nov 6, 2001
NZ
NB: I have read the FAQ on this but have not found the error msg or an answer so please bare with me. Thank you.
I have bought a 3TB external hard drive ( Seagate) and tried to do a system image in Win7 to this drive. the folders created include a folder called WindowsImageBackup, with approx 15GB ( hidden no doubt although I do have show all files allowed on my pc.)
and an icon called (my pc name) grannies-PC
My PC icon shows no files and a read only box applied to it.
The Windows Image folder (WIF)shows a folder called "Backup 2012.12.15 083152" and in this a VHD ( Virtual hard drive,file of 47,119KB
The WIF also has another folder called Catalog with 2 files of 17KB each being global catalog files.
The WIF has one last file called Medial of 1KB.

My question is although there seems to be data in this backup I get the msg " One of the backup files could not be created.
Details: The request could not be performed because of an ISO device error.
Is there a simple answer to this please.
Any constructive help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive(s) for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems. Try this on both source and destinations drives.

Have a look at this.

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available

And this too.

Microsoft support policy for 4K sector hard drives in Windows

One thing you could try is a different backup program that works, for example -

Image for Windows

Acronis True Image 10 Home

Backup forum

Backup – Windows and Windows Server

Thanks Linney, With Christmas nearly on us I will try this and let you know how I get on in the next few days.
I welcome all peoples more knowledgeable than I, which covers most of the world.
Thank you

Secong the chkdsk run, I use Acronis and a couple other programs, they all fail if the disks have uncorrected chkdsk errors.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Have checked ALL drives external and internal, all are free of errors.
I have downloaded the Seagate Diskwizard as I have a maxtor 1TB and a Seagate 3TB ext disk :(free for personal use) to use with my 3TB Seagate external drive.
I have a couple of queries in regard to the tutorial on seagate site as I do not want to replace my main hard drive just copy all data etc as the pc is currently setup.
I need to know if this system will copy all the applications I have loaded onto my pc and all data relevant to them also.
"I will return to let you know what happens)

No, the DiskWizard is there for transferring from one drive to another for the purpose of replacement of the first drive (or for setting up the newly drive)...

so it would be best to use a program such as Acronis 10 Home (see Linney's post for the link) or Paragon Backup & Recovery 12...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thank you Ben, I will do as you suggest.
Many thanks to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back