Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I/O Conflict Ports: 2f8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leah977

Technical User
Jan 8, 2002
US
Okay, we've got a major issue here. My husband and I got a new motherboard and this weekend I rebuilt our PC. Everything seemed to be working alright except while booting up we were getting the error message "I/O Conflict Ports: 2f8"

My husband decided that reinstalling our OS (Win98) would probably fix the problem, so that's what he did. Unfortunately it didn't work. As a last resort, he formatted our hard drive! Now, not only is our hard drive formatted, but our A: drive doesn't work! When he put the floppy disk that allows him to re-build our hard drive he keeps getting the "device not ready" pop-up!

pcangry.gif
Please, please, please... can anyone help???

OH! By the way, our new motherboard is the Abit KT7A running the AMD Socket-A Thunderbird 1.2GHz processor.

Check the BIOS configuration on the serial ports. Perhaps you have 2 ports using the same address/IRQ.

As for the floppy, perhaps the floppy cable is installed upside down ?

Bill.

You have conflict with one of your COM ports(COM2 I think). You can either disable the COM port in your BIOS or remove one card at a time to find which one it conflicts with and try to change the settings on the card itself. I see this alot with ISA Modems

I assume since he formatted the hard drive the floppy drive must have worked at this point?? I would suggest trying another diskette..maybe something is wrong with the diskette used to restore the system.

What add-in cards did you install on this new motherboard? A modem possibly? The new motherboard probably has a minimum of 2 integrated serial type ports...one may even be infrared.

Once you get the floppy drive/diskette to work, you should modify the BIOS settings to either change the resources for the integrated serial device on Com port 2..or just disable it if you are using an add-in modem already configured for these resources.

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

Thank you all! I've printed out the thread and I'll take it home and see what we can do.

You might also try adjusting the settings in the BIOS to make sure that it is set up to boot from the floppy drive.
A port 2f8 conflict (COM2) would imply perhaps an old, jumpered, ISA modem that is set to use COM2. You can set it to use a different port or set it to use PnP or disable COM2 in the BIOS, or just get a new PCI modem at the store for about $25.
It could also be that you have your printer port set to use 2f8 in the BIOS (as well as COM2). That should be changed to another, unused IO port.

Thanks everyone!! I had installed an old modem that we no longer need (we use DSL now) and upon it's removal the conflict was resolved!

As for the faulty A:\ drive... it was a bad drive. We ran out to Best Buy and bought another one that works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back