Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I never used OLAP before. I am now

Status
Not open for further replies.

pto

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2002
US
I never used OLAP before. I am now working at a company where a programer created the cubes but he is no longer here. We want to upgrade the server from NT to 2000 and olap with anaylsis server.

I have searched and not found any articles that clearly state the differences between OLAP and Analysis Services.

Does anyone know if they are compatable? If yes how do I move olap cube to analysis server? [pc]

Microsoft Analysis Services is an Olap Application that is Packaged with MS SQL 2K SQL7 contained MS OLAP Services. There are a number of olap products on the market so before an upgrade path can be advised you first need to know what OLAP Application you currently have. If you have Analysis services already then an upgrade from NT to Win2k should have no affect if you running Olap Services I'm not totally sure of the impact but it maybe just upgrading what you already have. If you are using another vendors OLAP application (tools) then any issues of an OS change would have to be found out from them.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

Thank you for the information. I am using the Microsoft's OLAP Manager.

The problem is the server that has the cubes is offline. Unlike regular databases which I know how to move and restore to another server no problem.

When it comes to these cubes I am lost.

So if I currently have MS SQL 2K will I be able to copy the database from Olap manager and place them in Analysis Services? [pc2]

Some poking around on Microsoft.com shows that it is possible to upgrade Olap Services 7 to Olap Services 8 (Analysis Services), BUT there are known issues, mainly with the repository but service packs seem to resolve these issues.

- Daffy Duck

Thanks for the tip. I also contacted Microsoft as this is a high priorty for my company. It turns out you install the addins for olap 7.0, archive the database and restore in Analysis Services or onto another olap 7.0 that has the addins.

Actually in MS SQL 7 the olap service was named "OLAP Services" in SQL 2000 it was renamed "Analysis Services". The original question was could cubes from OLAP Services be moved to Analysis Services which the answer was yes. Seeing that this issue ended almost 2 months ago so I see to fail how you comments, which are not in anyway helpful, could benefit anyone.

- Daffy Duck

Thanks for the info. I already resolved. Just for your info.[colorface]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back