Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to wipe my partion table

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW252

Programmer
May 21, 2001
US
I have 2 hard drives, the first is for my windows, and the second for linux. My second hard drives partion table has been messed up, and i can not correct it with FDisk, it is partioned into 2 pieces (that fdisk can see anyways) and 10% is empty (so says fdisk) i try to delete the logical drives, i can delete one but when i delete the other it says that it deleted it then i push esc, it then says, "drives letters have changed" and it comes back, so i can not delete the extended drive i have tryed fdisk many times.

I just need to know what i can do to WIPE my partion table of the second hard disk and start over from scatch with fdisk.

I hope that makes sence,

Thanks,

-Matt

Linux partition is different. Can you delete it with the Linus boot disk? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thsnks, but i don't care what partion it is windows or linux, i think there are only windows partions on the drive right now anyways, but either way all i want to do is wipe the partion table whether it has linux, win, etc. partions on it i want them all gone.

Thanks,

-Matt

ZAP from seagate. A debug boot sector zapper listed on the hardware forum. Norton utilities disk editor and overwrite the boot sector with zeros.
At least two other programs have been mentioned on the win95 forum in the last week under fdisk. You might also look there on the FAQ list. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Alright, thanks Ed, i'll go try those

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back