Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to use the unix * operator and system won't let me

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJpennywhistle

Programmer
Jun 1, 2000
US
Visit site
I'm moving control into a file and then I need to copy the file with extension edn to a new file. So, in Unix I would simply <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;cp *.edn arbit.edn<br><br>but system won't let me do that. I would like to keep the file name but it is not that important but I do need to make the copy.<br><br>Any ideas? <p>Gordon Bell<br><a href=mailto:gordon.bell@xilinx.com>gordon.bell@xilinx.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

give us a little more here.....;^)&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>??Could be syntax in Perl or Unix??&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>??Could be permissions?? what exactly does your line look like? <br>Are you using backticks?&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>What? <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Use <br><br><FONT FACE=monospace><br>$Messages=`cp *.edn arbit.edn`<br><br>Use simply the backtick operator.<br>I hope it works...

i had used <br><br>system(&quot;cp *.edn arbit.edn&quot;);<br><br>that is the complete line. <p>Gordon Bell<br><a href=mailto:gordon.bell@xilinx.com>gordon.bell@xilinx.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Gordon,<br><br>What error message do you get?<br><br>What operating system are you on? (HPUX¦¦AIX¦¦Linux¦¦Other)<br> <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com>michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>

I think I've got it sussed - I don't kno7w exactly wh+at I was doing wrong must havfrtye beeeeen \a typo somewhire.<br><br>thanks anyway guys!!! <p>Gordon Bell<br><a href=mailto:gordon.bell@xilinx.com>gordon.bell@xilinx.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back