Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to recover the local admin password for win 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnfaniyi

Programmer
May 6, 2003
US
I forgort my local admin password for win 2000 and need to either recover it or reset it. I want to do this without having to reinstall the OS. Someone told me to copy the SAM file, but don't know where it is. Is the SAM file a registry key or something? Okay thsese are my questions:

Is there a way to recover or reset the local admin password without reinstalling the OS ?
Is there a software out there that does this ?
Where exactly is the SAM file located ?
Is there an easy fix ? (as most of the places I looked have a long drawn out process)

Please help me .........

Does your profile have admin rights (Hopefully you do not use the administrator account on a regular basis)? If so run lusrmgr.msc (windows 2000 user manager) select users and right click on administrator and select set password.

Thank You,

Roger Truss
A+, Network+
Workstation Customer Support Analyst
rtruss@mercmarine.com
Mercury Marine

If y9u have a FAT partition, just get a windows 95 boot disk. If its NTFS, get an appropriate bootable floppy that reads NTFS disks...

Then just delete the sam file, restart and log in as administrator with no password. This works on NT and 2000 desktop and server as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back