Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need to partition, but.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

wins

IS-IT--Management
May 17, 2002
IN
Right now, im running winxp on 100% of mi harddrive (10gb) i want to resize that ntfs partition to 5gb, and leave the other 5gb as un unformatted partition so i can start up the linux installation and not partition manually. I tried Partition Magic, but then I discovered its a demo, and dosent work, which really pissed me off. Are then any programs out there that will let me do what i described?

I'd repost to a windows forum for a full response.
But PowerQuest DriveImage has always done the job for me. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

In my experience (a lot) Partition Magic is the tool of choice. It's one of the most useful things I've ever purchased. However, here are some other possibilities.

Most Linux distributions come with a tool called 'fips' . fips will move your data toward the beginning of a partition so you can then use fdisk to reset the end boundary without killing your data. It's risky though and I don't know if it will work with NTFS.

I used fips once successfully a few years ago. Since then I've only used Partition Magic.

The only other way I know of is to back up that partition to some other storage, repartition the drive, reformat the partitions, then restore the data. Make sure you move hidden and system files. Be prepared to re-establish your boot record info. Linux will do that with LILO.

Norton may have tools to help. I don't know.

I decided to back everything up and cd and nuke my drive. But, Im usin that program williwanka talked about, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back