Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to get rid of some color in a logo. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingfisher9

Instructor
Jun 2, 2005
US
I have a existing logo that has white lettering and a black background. I want to remove the balck background, so that I can put just the white on a blue section of my design. Any Ideas?

hard to say anything about this without looking at the file. is it a eps/pdf file importet to illustrator? You shuld be able to use the white arrow tool beside the black one to sort it out (the arrow tool/selection tool).

Flyingfisher:

Here's a possible workaround:

1. Draw a rectangle, fill with black, and send it behind the existing tiff; It should be a little larger than the tiff;
2. Select the tiff and the rectangle, go to the transparency palette, and from the flyout choose "Make Opacity Mask"; You should now have the white portion of the art showing in black, and nothing else;
3. Object>Rasterize;
4. From the appearance palette flyout, choose "Add New Stroke";
5. Effect>Path>Outline Object;
6. Object>Expand appearance, then select only the raster portion and throw it out.
You should now have a useable, but not clean, vector path. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Or, you could make a path in Photoshop and bring it into Illustrator.

-

I ended up just doing it in photoshop and importing it as a psd file.

Thanks for your comment though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back