Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to demote and then promote m

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
I need to demote and then promote my w2k DC due to a problem in DNS during installation causing a disjointed name space ("computername.domain" instead of "computername.domain.com like all others). I tried adding another DC so i could replicate and then demote the other but it cannot communicate saying there is no DC in the domain.

My concern is if i do that and restore with the same admin name and password will my exchange server have a problem communicating?

Can they communicate now? I had a problem when I was setting up a new server and had to demote it and promote it and didn't have any problems. This was not a production server yet, so I didn't have anything to lose. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Accident is the name of the greatest of all inventors."
Mark Twain (1835-1910), U.S. author.

Yeah i can log in to the Domain Controller from the other servers including the new one. But when it looks for a domain controller specifically it says it can't fine one. Even though it's logged in to the DC. Just can't resolve the name from the IP. Trying to set up a test environment to see if i can replicate but not sure i'll get same result.

It seems i should be able to as when i log back into the network from the other desktops/servers i'd be using the new admin account. Then just change the service account name on the services, org, site on the exchange server.

never tried it though ... sound right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back