Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I Need to create duplicate contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhurst925

IS-IT--Management
Jan 5, 2006
US
I know usually you don't want duplicate contacts in your outlook contacts list but if somebody has a better idea i'm open to suggestions. Here is what I am trying to accomplish. My company is using a public contact list to share information about jobs that we are working on. As we talk to the other companies notes are made, helping to keep everyone on the same page. I have created a custom form that allows us to assign a specific job name that a specific contact is associated with. The problem is that we use the same companies over and over again for different jobs that we work on. I need a way to create a duplicate of a contact within the same contact list, just assign a different job name. I have tried using the "New contact from same company" but that requires me to reenter the information about the same person. And a simple copy/paste command isn't allowed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
---Matt

amandalvsmatt,
I can see how what you are asking for and how you are trying to solve it could becoming somewhat of a nightmare very quickly. However, a better tool for you to use would be Outlook's Category feature. In this manner each "different job name" could become a Category that you could assign to each contact as needed. The extra benefit to this is that you can assign a contact to as many categories as memory allows and also sort them to see who belongs within each list without duplicating contact information. Any time you duplicate a contact in any program you run the risk of incomplete or inaccurate information as one may be updated and the other isn't.

Hope this helps.

bkpchs237 --
A nightmare is an understatment. I have already applied the categories to each of the jobs, the problem is that one of the columns that is shown on the global view is the notes pane so that each user can see the current status of everything. I need to find a way to create duplicate contacts that will allow me to create individual notes for each job then display them under that specific job.

Like I said nightmare is understatment
If you have any other tips they are greatly appreciated
Thanks
-- Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back