Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to creat a login/password page in coldFuion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lminmei

Programmer
Feb 1, 2000
US
how do i creat the validation page that validates a userid and password from a database?

hi,

another point which fits to this question.

How can I give access to someone who is saved as user in the view DBA_USERS of a oracle database? The problem is that the password is encrypted in this view. So I'm not able to compare the passwords as DarkMan suggested in his first answer to Iminmei.

Do I have to use the cfauthenticate-tag? Or can I use the connect-command from oracle?

Thank you,
Marcus [sig][/sig]

I have a question about session variables verses cookies in user authentication. I have a project that I'm working on where I am using an application.cfm file. The user enters their user name and password and hits &quot;submit&quot;. I query the database to make sure that they are in there and that their password is correct. If all that is true then I set some browser cookies with their userid and group level access. Why is it that sometimes right after I login and go to a page where I have a <CFIF IsDefined> set up on the userid or group it comes back as false (as in the cookie does NOT exist). Why would this be happening?

What are the reasons why I should use session variables? How do I clear them on log-out. Where can I find more in-depth information on creating applications using application.cfm and this kind of thing? I would appreciate any help that I receieve. I am only one of two ColdFusion developers for our website and I'm the only one doing this kind of thing. I could really use some help!

Thanks!
Jen [sig][/sig]

JanJul:
No, u dun need to have 2 application.cfm :)
dun think it will work.. the application.cfm is always executed before any cfm files is executed..
In the application.fm is where u declare the usage of
client or server variables management..
U can also set the user_id in the file for access permission

iza:
I'm not sure about the <cfauthentication> ...
but i can say that u can declare ur session variables in the application.cfm
But before these, u have to declare the use of session or cookies ..

edwebdeveloper :
Well, session variables time-out by default of 20min..
u can change it to other value in the application.cfm

reference:
ColdFusion.cfm

Wow, this is a long and involved thread! Just to throw in my 2 cents, seesion variables are THE way to handle logins. They reduce security risks (because they are in server memory) and you don't have to worry &quot;what if the user has cookies turned off&quot;.

But the biggest thing I have to say is, an application.cfm file is absolutely NOT necessary. As pilcha, probably is aware, fusebox deisgn allows, even encourages programmers to get away from the use of the application.cfm. I've designed/coded several projects and never use application.cfm. I find fusebox to be a more optimum method in which to code my projects. I encourage every CF programmer to checkout and break away from the restraints of application.cfm.

Just my thoughts on this thread.

bankholdup

Hi bankholdup,

Juz to ask u:
U really dun need an application.cfm to code CF programs?? I thought that we gotta specify the use of session or cookie variables there?
If not declared, can we use session var?
I've heard abt fusebox, but have not really understood wats
its all abt..
Can u elaborate its usefulness?
thanx

you still need to use <cfapplication> to establish the use of session, application and client variables. It is just used in a different file wich can be added to files (with <cfinclude>) as needed. I know I won't do much good if I try to explain it, check out for all the details.

bankholdup

Hi bankholdup,

If u were to <cfinclude> all files where u use session variables, wouldn't it be too troublesome?
Why not use application.cfm then??

application.cfm loads with EVERY cfm file in the current directory. What if you don't need all the same variables loaded in each page? What if something desperately needed in all other pages absolutely can not be in 1 particular template? application.cfm will load it into that page anyway. Using fusebox, gives the programmer more control and also encourages a modular method of programming. Which after years of studying programming languages I have found the most comfortable and easiest to maintain (at least for me).

bankholdup

Think about this too: If your app doesn't even use session variables or cookies, there's no need for application.cfm

I'm really interested in learning more about <CFAUTHENTICATE>, IsAuthenticated(), and AuthenticatedUser(). I think these are the way to go, but don't quite know how to use them. Can somebody tell me how to take usernames and passwords from a SQL7 DB and put them in &quot;User Directories&quot; in CF Server Advanced Security? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've created the forms as shown, but I'm confused as to where the following belongs:
&quot;?cfid=#cfid#&cftoken=#cftoken#&quot;

Also, how do I keep people from bookmarking the page once they get to it?

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back