Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to be able to encrypt a password before inserting it into a db

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRapper

Programmer
Nov 25, 2003
US
Hello All

I need to be able to encrypt a password before inserting it into a database. Then be able to decrypt it after I retrieve from the database.

DRapper

DRapper,
Using a tip I got off another thread in this forum I created a sub-routine that performs an encryption of what ever is sent to it.

sub encrypt {
my $q = shift;
my $salt = 'KW';
my $codedWord = crypt($password, $salt);
return $codedWord;

}

I also use it to re-encrypt a submitted password (to compare against what is in the dB) for validation when a user attempts a log on.

I hope this helps. :)

For my purpose, I used MySQL as the db and used the AES_ENCRYPT function. Not always the best answer, but was sufficient for my use. I needed to eventually retrieve the original value, not just compare md5 stuff.

M. Brooks

I'm using an Access database, but will be moving to SQL Server in the future. I want the password in the database table to be unreadable.

DRapper

The various databases generally have a builtin password hashing function or two, but if you want portability to another database, you could use one of the one-way methods in Perl before you insert (as per your original request). crypt uses DES encryption should be available and does well enough. It's what *nix systems used for a long time. These days there's better ways. The new popular way is probably MD5 [1] but I've heard of another newer, harder, better, faster, stronger (or something) one, but can't remember it's name.

[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back