Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need Super Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

granny47

Instructor
Feb 19, 2002
US
I'm having trouble with things staying in my task bar next to the clock. Yes I do know how to put them there, they just don't stay. Two exsamples are the horn for volume control and the Weather Bug.
Another thing I'd like to know is, is there a way to delete things in the startups (msconfig/startup).

I found this information on item removal (XP) at .Warning - be careful when editing the Registry!!:

To Remove Entries: How to clear all the Un-Used items in MSCONFIG

Start/Run/Regedit

For items that were in the Start menu, Programs, Startup folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

For items loaded from the Registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg. You'll find a subkey for each disabled item.

Thanks Guys, you helped some. But my main problem is they won't stay there, I put them in the startup and the next time I start Windows there gone.Another thing "MSeng" all the programs in my startup in MSconfig are not in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder. or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg.
Granny

Granny,

By default, XP hides icons in the tray when they are not used for a period of time. To stop this behaviour, right click on taskbar and click on properties. Its one of the options there (on 2k at moment so can't remember exactly which one)

MBLR - I've been getting that for ages - presumably the site has gone or they've changed their access policy. If you want startup manager you can download it from

Hi again, well still no luck, I did download and install startup manager, and still no luck, they still won't stay put.
Now I can't get them back in the task bar next to the clock at all. Granny47

Right-click on the Task Bar and select properties. On the bottom of the Task Bar tab, under the grouping "Notification Area" there is a box for Hide Inactive Icons, make sure this box is not checked. If I understand you question correctly, this should help.

Ok Basnbuk, still having trouble, can't get some there now at all and still can't get them to stay from one startup to another. Granny47

Granny,

You said "from one start up to another"
Are you switching users? Because the user profile will be different for each user meaning you would have to follow the above advice for each user profile.

Paul

:cool:

Ok Guys got this thing fixed and I'm not sure why it worked, but it did. " Administrative Tools. Expand Services and Applications then Click on Services. A list of services appears in the right column. Scroll down to the the services mentioned. Right click each, choose properties. Change the text next to "Startup type:" to Disabled." This came from Kelly at microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain.
A happy Grandma.
Granny47

OUCH!

Either

A. You didn't explain the problem properly [I don't think this is the case] or
B. There is a failure to communicate here.

Either way, you may have gotten some questionable advice in that last post. Anytime you start messing with the services [or the registry for that matter] you can do some serious damage and render your machine inoperable if you don't know what you are doing. There are services that are essential to the proper operation of your system and dependencies between services. Before making any changes, you should consult a site like or MS Support for more information on them. FYI, you can also get at the services by clicking on the "Services" tab in MSCONFIG.

The problem you stated is that you can not get
- "things" to stay in the task bar
- how do you delete "things" in the startup.

I think there is a misunderstanding of that lower part of the screen and what it's actual functions are. It is broken into two, three or more areas depending on your configuration.
[ul][li]Quick Launch Area - A customizable toolbar that lets you display the Windows desktop or start a program (for example, Internet Explorer) with a single click. You can add buttons to start your favorite programs from the Quick Launch location on the taskbar.

This is generally located to the right of the Start button and is optional and can be turned off.[/li]

[li]Task Area - The area that contains buttons for each of the active (open) applications/windows.

This area is generally to the right of the Start button and QuickLaunch area. XP now has options to customize how these buttons are grouped and appear.[/li]

[li]Notification Area - The area on the taskbar to the right of the taskbar buttons. The notification area displays the time and can also contain shortcuts that provide quick access to programs, such as Volume Control and Power Options. Other shortcuts can appear temporarily, providing information about the status of activities. For example, the printer shortcut icon appears after a document has been sent to the printer and disappears when printing is complete.

This area is generally to the far left on the task bar. In XP, there are options to hide elements in the Notification Area if they have not been used recently as wolluf pointed out. This may be the symptom that they have "disappeared".[/li][/ul]
Note that the Notification Area DOES NOT represent all the running processes. Certain processes can be configured to show in the Notification Area but many of the applications and services do not show in this area. Services generally do not show in the Task Area either. If you want to see all the running processes, open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab.

With XP, you can have multiple users "logged in" and running different applications. If you switch users, you may see different applications in the Task Area and Notification Area. THIS IS NORMAL as pmidwest pointed out. To ensure that the Notifications always appear, follow the advice Basnbuck provided.

As far as deleting things in the startup, all you need to do is use MSCONFIG. First, uncheck the items you do not want to start and restart the machine. If all works OK then you can remove them. I would not recommend actually deleting applications until you are sure you will not ever need them. There are some that can/should NOT be deleted but can be inactivated. Why not list the ones in questions and we can provide assistance with them.

Rather lengthy but I hope it helps.
The Old Man

The Old Man.
Thanks it has helped alot. Get back at you if I have anymore that I need help with.
Granny47

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back