Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need Remote Access over Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chwooly

MIS
Apr 27, 1999
US
Visit site
I want to take control of an NT machine from a Win 9X machine using IP (similar to using PCAnywhere or Laplink) and connecting over the Internet, Other than RemotelyAnywhere is there any other software that will do it.

Back Orifice does it; but it'll drive your antivirus prog. absolutely nuts ;P <p>-Robherc<br><a href=mailto:robherc@netzero.net>robherc@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*nix installation & program collector/reseller. Contact me if you think you've got one that I don't :)

(Seriously though). Try WinVNC from ORL. Run PPTP to the server and password protect it using a password only YOU know.<br>
<br>
Works for us, but I 'm not saying who &quot;us&quot; is...

Thanks everyone, One other question, It would be for a very large number of users. Would PCAnywhere 9 work thru a firewall and routers?

If the routers and firewalls are configured to allow it through then yes. otherwise no...

Try Timbuktu Pro ... it is really good at this as well as providing some other very neat/useful tools. We've used it for a couple of years and are quiet pleased with it. Can also be used to control MAC/WinNT/Win9x.

chwooly, pcAnywhere WILL do what you want. I use ver 8 to administer an NT box via the internet, and it is secure, if you set it to be so.

Zelandakh is right on this one - VNC is a good solution and it is free.&nbsp;&nbsp;We use it to support our customers via VPN connections as well as in-house support (the server is not that far away but I am getting lazy in my old age!).&nbsp;&nbsp;I have used PCAnywhere, Carbon Copy, Remotely Possible, ManageWise and VNC has been the easiest to implement.&nbsp;&nbsp;A nice feature of VNC is that it supports cross-platform remote control (remote control only - no file transfer, chat, etc.).

Another advantage is foot print&nbsp;&nbsp;- it is small. It is also fast / low overhead so there is little impact on your system speed.

Netmeeting could do remote control thro' internet. It's much faster than VNC. Moreover, it support secure connection too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back