Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need program for a Mac like VNC, that can be controlled by Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LindanSolo

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2005
US
Ok :) I have a MAC email server that is 60 miles away from me but on the same network, I use the program VNC to control other peoples computers across this network for technical problems, Is there a program similar to VNC that I can use to control that MAC email server from here on my Windows XP machine, reason being I need access to it but have no MAC Machine here at this facility. If someone could help id really appreciate it :).

Thanks,
Lindan

This might sound sort of dumb, but it might be easiest to just go to Apple/com - Store, click on SAVE on the lower right of window and pick up something like a basic iBook refurb for about 700 or an eMac refurb for about 600.

That might save a lot of headaches.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

no thats an option :) its never dumb to give an oppinion :) thanks very much. I think I would still like to have a program like VNC though, its very handy to have.
Also as a comment to my original post I have the program ULTRA VNC and it says MAC compatible but I cant figure it out.

thanks :) very much , just looked over that link and I like what I see, however im unfamiliar with SSH tunnel, unfortunatly I am MAC illiterate.

Lindan

Why can't you run VNC on Mac? The whole idea behind VNC was that it was created to be cross platform. ULTRA VNC server only seems to run on Windows. You need a Mac VNC server. You can find all kinds of VNC clients and servers for Windows and Mac at versiontracker.com

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

I second jimoblak's question - why look for a VNC equivalent when you can just run VNC?

Actually you need VNC that is compiled for OSX. Hence the Redstone folks did just that. It's VNC, nothing odd about it but it is missing some features that the Windoze version has. BFD.. it works and is stable.

For the client side, there are several clients available. I happen to like CHicken of the VNC. Dumb name but the code is tight and works well. Not to mention it's happy with OSX 10.4.

The SSH tunnel is recommended because VNC has lousy encryption and is easily popped. Not to mention that many times on a corporate LAN, VNC is blocked but port 22 (SSH) is not.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Yes thank you wybnormal, you have helped me a great deal, also I downloaded chicken of the VNC but I was using ULTRA VNC, I just like it better for some reason. That MAC didnt even recognize any of the other versions of VNC. However RedStones 0SX version is a different story :).

I am fairly new at this myself but timbuktu will accomplish what you are trying to do. you will be able to connect to a mac from a pc.. hope this helps

In OS 10.3 and later, each Mac comes with AppleRemote Desktop Client. Upgrade it to version 2.2 (client is free).

Client can be configured to permit a VNC viewer to have access and permissions to perform tasks of any user configured on the local OS X machine.

If you want to use a Mac to control another VNC machine (Windows, Linux etc), you can Either buy the Administrator program for Apple Remote Desktop or download and use "Chicken of the VNC". See for downloads.

There is also a Microsoft Remote Desktop Client that runs on OS X to access other Windows computers and servers.

go to (Microsoft site for Mac updates and utilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back