Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antenoman

Technical User
Mar 2, 2006
US
We had a house fire, and i lost most everything. i am trying to "piece toegether" a system. my xp pro cd is gone. i had copied it to the hard drive, so i have it on the system, but when i copy it to a cd, my system won't boot from it. any advice? (i'm not real talented here, just learning!)

I suppose you still have your CD Key. If that's the case, just borrow a xp pro cd from someone, install it using your own CD key & that's fine.

BTW, just curious, if you're still "piecing together" a system, which system are you using to burn the CD???

antenoman
As tekuser999 says, it's the CD key that is unique not the actual copy of XP.
So just copy someone else's disk (obviously the same version) but use your key.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

Can you copy your hard drive copy to a FAT32 partition or you might be able to use your non working CD via this method.

307848 - HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP

another way is to make a BOOTABLE CD out of the Data (your copy of the XP CD on HD) by using a third party app, ie. NERO

ignore the Slipstreaming bit, and scroll down to the part about creating a Bootable CD...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

If the CD is not booting the firs thing to do is go into the BIOS (usually its dont by pressing F1 or Del just after you start the machine)

Look around and find out where the boot order is - just move CD to the top of the list, and next time you start the PC, if the CD is indeed bootable, you will be prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD"

This may well already be set but its the easiest one to check.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back