Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help with project managment

Status
Not open for further replies.

tballoni

Programmer
Feb 19, 2010
US
Hi,

I am new to software project management, and have never seen a real software project put together. Does anyone have a real software project you can share with me so I can see what a software project looks like from start to finish? It doesn't have to be a big project or anything. It could just simple software project.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate your help!

Tony

tballoni@yahoo.com

There are two schools of thought: rapid development and deployment (called Agile) and cascade development and deployment (called Waterfall).

Here is a template for a waterfall process:

Start MS Project
Click on File > New
In the "New Project" panel select Templates: On my computer...
In the "Templates" popup, select "Software Development"

For Agile:
In *broad* terms, it's exactly the same except that you have multiple short term iterations of the waterfall.

Frankly, for such a broad-based, general question I think Google is your friend.

Hi,

Google is your best friend !

If you want to have a look at what is a software project management, just have a look at There is a Demo for trying to use it, track version to follow develpement, and I can give you some data of a real activity follow up (mine ...).

Regards.

Babynus
Administrator of website
"free tools to helps you manage your projects"

Read up on cycle/iterative development, and agile/scrum environments.

I estimate that 90% of missed targets can be attributed to the waterfall methodologies that work in other industries. Waterfall can be really counter-productive in software. Listen to your developers. They might not know project management, but they will what screws them over.

My tip: When they estimate time, also ask them to estimate the probability of success!

--Glen :)

Memoria mihi benigna erit qui eam perscribam

Looks like you have some good responses to your question.

One thing I am not clear on - are you interested in product development or software implementation?

If you need an example for software implementation you can find one at:

Bear in mind that every project is different so you should only use the example as a starting point for your planning.

Hope this helps.

T Morphy

Tony,
Although the topic you share is too broad, you've made the right choice by posting it... Some time ago I was also first to software PM and looked through multipe websites found in Google search.

Here's what I suggest you:
1. Downloading several templates and checklists on software project management. They should be about Agile development.
2. Learning carefully all the templates you've found. Note that the main idea of this suggestion is to look at the templates giving great attention to details.
3. Finding and reading some competent resources about PM and software development on the Web. That should be websites containing articles and reviews.
4. Sharing your knowledge with the community through this Forum.
5. Analyzing and Applying. Now it is time to analyze the info you get from the community and apply knowledge to your software projects.

Good Luck!

I was in your same situation before, and one user said previously that Google is your best friend. I agree wholeheartedly. You will be surprised just how much information can be found on the web. Check it out. The great thing is the information is free.

Regards,

Steve Mark

How I Pass the PMP Exam for the PMP Certifiaction

Hi,

You can have a look at It's a free Project Management Webbased Tool.

You will find Demo and Request Tracking using the tool.

You should also request some help in the Forum on the webSite.

If you're interested, I could send you my own project database as a template.

Babynus
Administrator of website
"free tool to help you manage your projects"

Hello,

I recommend ProjectSim, it's a project management simulation platform, it has a natural, graphic user interface that facilitates quick and easy development of models.

You can download the demo version on I think you can request a software PM model there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back