Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help to wire for KX-TA624 system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmargaryan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
Hello,

I have got KX-TA624 phone system that will need to be wired for 12 stations. I am looking to use 66 block and CAT3 4pair jacks. Can anybody provide me some help or tips on wiring instructions, color codes or sequence to use (on 66 block and to connect phone system) and whether to use 568A or B on the jack?

Any help on this or link on wiring will be appreciated.

I would pull cat5e cable (not needed cat 3 is fine but the cost diffrence is negligable so good to have the cat5e installed for future)

I would terminate with cat 3 4 conductor (2 pair ) jacks

no reson to use 4 pair

if you use modular jacks the color code is printed right on the jack if you are using screw terminal jacks

green = white blue
red= blue white
black = white orange
yellow = orange white

if you want to run two phones off one cable substitue green/white for blue white and brown/white for orange white for the second cable

if you punch down to a 66 block punch all four pair of each cable then use 2 pair cross connect wire with a QUALITY crimp tool to make up jumpers from the 66 to the modular plugs on the 624

pin out looking at the top of the plug

white/orange blue/white white/blue orange / white

be sure you use plugs made for solid wire

or you could use 2 pair cross connect wire from the 66 block to a surface mount 4 conductor jack then a standard line cord from the jack to the 624.

Thanks a lot.

One more question, there is a pre-existing cat3 4 pair jack, if I have to reuse them, do I switch the ornage and green wires on the jack end for consistancy or at the 66 block?

i would replace the jack ,a cat3 2pair jack is only a couple of dollars max.

If you have to use the existing I would pick up the correct pairs at the 66 block rather than reconfiguting the jack.

Skip555 is right. Connect the blue pair and the green pair at the backboard (assuming the 8 wire jacks are wired AT&T-style).

If you have the wiring scheme for 568A on the jacks, use it. it has the blue and orange pairs in the right place (same as USOC 4 wire). ALso, instead of making your own jumpers and crimping them, call a local cabling supply (CSC, Graybar, etc) and order a hydra cable. Tell them you want it to have 12 each 2 pair modular plugs to an open ended 25 pair. This will look a lot more professional and you won't be wondering if your mod plugs are done right. I suggest putting the station cables on seperate blocks than the Stations and CO Lines. Cross connect between them. This will make more sense after a couple of years of moves and changes. Also, label everything legibly. Make sure all the mod plug tails on the hydra are labelled 1 thru 12 and mark the blocks clearly with a sharpy. You will be glad later. The label on the frame should match a label on the block (V01 to V?? or CA01 to CA??) Label the system block with the station numbers. Also, I agree with skip555, if you pull the Cat5e cable now, as voice and data continue to merge, you will be able to swing the cables to the data patch panel and use them for Voice over IP, Call center configurations, or the next hot thing to come out that we don't know about yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back