Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help setting up my first vpn for a small office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deonroman

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
I am looking to set up a VPN between two WIN XP Pro computers. I have followed the setup for the server end and the client end correctly. The client keeps getting stuck on the verify password screen. The server has a static ip and is connected to the net via dsl. I am also using XP's firewall. If you need anymore information let me know. You suggestion will be appreciated.

Did you verify that the user in question has Dial-In permissions? If so, let the connection go till you get the error message. If you let it keep trying at the Verifying Username and Password, it will eventually give you an error message that will help greatly in diagnosing the problem... Thanks,

Matt Wray

What Domain Controller are you using? NT4 or NT2K? You will need to specify dial-in permissions. Also, you only get 3 times to connect, then it will lock you out and you have to reboot.

Geoff

I seem to be having this same problem. I'm connecting through a linksys router however and use a cable modem. trying to connect to 1 XP machine from another through the router. I've forwarded ports 1723 and 47 accordingly in the router admin section.

The connection hangs on the verifying username and password section and i get error 721. It tells me to check the ip address and username and password stuff...all of which checks out.

Any information on what I can do to make this work would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Drew

angelleeye,

In the newer Linksys routers (I am not sure how old yours is), but there is a setting to choose for using ipsec and pptp connections. Make sure this is activated.

Geoff

Angelleye,
I tried the same setup with the Linksys BEFSR41 and was unable to get the forwarding to work. You need TCP port 1723 and IP protocol 47, not port. I found thru my experience that Linksys would not recognize GRE protocol. I hope you have better luck... Thanks,

Matt Wray

so what does that mean I need <i>protocol 47</i> and not port 47? I guess I don't understand how to open up the protocol. Info on that would be awsome.

Thanks!

Drew

I have posted a link to linksys that describes what ports to activate and port triggering.

Good Luck,

BTW I have this working from XP to XP across the router through a cablemodem across states. However, I can't get it to work from a Windows 2000 pro to XP using the same setup.

JJ

The link seems to be a little messed up. Could you please try again? thanks!

Drew

YOU WOULD think that you could set up a vpn by using the mac address of a machine even on a private network as long as there was NAT.

ok...i'm connected! but now what? I can't seem to figure out how to actually use the remote network recorces...files and stuff. it doesn't show up under network places. any info woud be great!
thanks!

I am receiving a &quot;error 721&quot; message. I am not if my dsl modem is blocking the connection or not. I am using intetnet sharing with window firewall on a computer with 2 network cards. One card is connected to the modem with the firewall active. The other card is connected to the card is connected to the rest of the network. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Not to sound so persistent but all, you have to use the basics first. Get the basics to work then add firewalls etc. If your basics don't communicate (1-machine. 1-router, 1-Cable/DSL modem to another set of the exact same) then nothing will work and your troubleshooting will be forever.

If you did connect ie. Login and authenticate and you can't map a drive say using &quot;net use *&quot;, then I would guess you have default gateway checked? Or, netbeui is not installed, netbeui will allow you to browse as long as you have Enable over tcp/ip because it is not routable.

Or, I have seen this quite a bit, DHCP is enable on the router and you are using it for VPN, this most times will not work.

hmmm...I'm reverting back to this post because I'm trying this exact same setup again somewhere else...I did the same thing as before..used that tutorial to setup forwarding and triggering...but i'm still getting a 721 error. what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back